Chapter 20

Newt and I woke up the next morning and slowly crawled out of bed. Alby didn't allow us any time to grieve over a fallen Glader so everyone wasn't allowed to speak or cry about what happened last night. It's what kept us from dwelling over someone for too long and giving up on this Glade.

Alby obviously understood why I would be beside Newt again today, so we were inside the gardens hacking at trees for half the day when Chuck and Thomas joined us. The two of them sat on a tipped tree while Newt, Zart and I cut at the roots of the tree stump.

With Alby and Minho inside the maze today, Newt was left in charge which brought him a great deal of stress. For most of the day, he had me run errands that he would normally do. Each time I would get a kiss and a deep thank you from him. He knew how much I did to help him and the Glade and I was more than happy to help them.

I had just finished sending a message to the Builders when I joined the group back at the gardens. Newt welcomed me with a smile and a soft kiss on the cheek before returning to the tree.

"But why did Alby go right back where Ben was just stung?" Thomas asked.

"Alby's our leader and we trust him," I answered his question, taking a seat beside Chuck. He was busy carving a small figure out a piece of wood.

Newt and Thomas continued on with the useless conversation while I admired Chuck's work. He was no builder, but he definitely knew his way around using a knife.

"That's really good, Chuck," I smiled down at his small figurine.

He beamed and seemed to blush at my complement. "Thanks (Y/N)!"

We continued both goofing off and working for the rest of the day until we noticed what time it was: 10 minutes till the doors closed. That meant Minho and Alby were late, and Minho's never late. Not once!

I ran over to Newt who was about to make another slice in the tree and stopped him. He looked startled for a moment but softened when he saw my panicked state.

"Newt, he's—he's never late," I said holding onto his arm. He put his arm on my back before looking to Zart who was still on the ground.

"Love why don't you wait by the doors," he offered. "You can watch them as soon as they come back. Don't worry, darling," he pecked a soft kiss onto my forehead, "they'll be fine."

I nodded shyly and walked towards the doors with my arms around myself. Once I made it to the entrance and stood with my toes touching the barrier, I felt someone join beside me. Chuck was now looking into the maze alongside me. The kid was younger than me, but he showed his worrying way better than I did.

We waited for many minutes, the other boys slowly joining us at the doors. I could already feel tears filling my eyes at the thoughts running through my head. What was going on out there? Did someone get hurt? Did someone get stung? Were they going to back it back in time?

Newt slipped his hand in mine once he joined the growing group of boys. He was just like me, he wore his feelings, so I could see exactly how frightened and nervous he was. I laced our fingers and squeezed them lightly to release some tension.

Nobody spoke at all, except for the greenie. "Come on guys. Can't we send somebody in there after them?"

"We can't. It's against the rules," Gally replied almost instantly.

Newt nudged his shoulder and added, "we can't risk loosing anyone else

Newt nudged his shoulder and added, "we can't risk loosing anyone else." He had one of his hands playing with his lips and the other still in mine but it didn't seem to calm him at all; not that it was working for me either.

A gust of wind sent me into a small panic attack. My heart rate skyrocketed and my hand became sweaty in Newt's. He knew just how scared I was now but he also knew there was nothing he could do.

"There!" Thomas suddenly shouted pointing at the left passageway of the maze. We could make out two figures: one dragging the second over their shoulders. Oh no, why was Minho carrying Alby?

"Wait, something's wrong," Newt said reading my mind.

Minho still had many feet just to get to the doors and they were quickly inching closer together. He couldn't make it.

"Come on Minho! You can do it!" I screamed into the entrance of the maze, which triggered the others boys to join. Everyone around me was shouting encouraging words at our two high ranking officials even though one of them couldn't hear us. All I wanted to know was what happened.

Everything suddenly moved in slow motion. Alby slid off Minho's back which only added five seconds to the time it took Minho to make it back. Then, the unthinkable happened: the greenie charged into the maze.

"Thomas, no!" We screamed and reached our hands out to grab onto some part of him and pull him back in. My hand latched onto a piece of his shirt and drew me closer to the walls because of the sudden weight that was added when I grabbed Thomas. Hands slid around my body and pulled me back into the glade where I screamed for Minho. The last thing I saw was Thomas make it to the other side before the doors closed with a loud boom.

Nobody moved. Everything was still and silent. Newt wouldn't move his hands from around me as he set me upright on the dirt. Today we lost three Gladers: our Keeper of Runners, our First-in-Command, and our newest addition.

It didn't occur to me until Newt began giving orders that he was now in charge. It's like Alby said: "he's in charge when I'm not around." Alby was gone, and Newt was left in his place.

I jumped when his hands found my body again. He quickly shushed me and pulled me into his chest with his hands brushing my hair. The other Gladers had all sadly walked back to their hammocks or to the dinner tables where food was being served like every other day. Only it wasn't every other day.

"Love," Newt cooed while breaking me out of my trance. "I can't lie to you. I'm sorry but they're not coming back."

I nodded and accepted it even though I didn't want to. I knew what the maze was like— I knew it first hand— so I knew I would never see those three again.

"I'm gonna go lie down unless you need me."
He shook his head and cupped my cheeks. He placed a long and hard kiss on my temple while wiping a tear sliding down my cheek. "I love you. Please love, think about that instead of this. Okay?"

"I love you too," I mumbled back. He was half right. I shouldn't dwell on the pain of losing my best friends but on the people still left in the Glade. That's how I felt with losing Bea. "Come get me if you need anything."

He nodded and led me to our hut. He had to leave me once we passed the picnic tables so I gave him another kiss and went alone to my hut. When I walked in, a boy was already inside sitting on my bed.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)! I just... may I... I don't know how—" I stopped Chuck from ranting on anymore.

"Don't worry Chuck. You can stay," I said and climbed into my bed after slipping my shoes off. He sat on the floor with his back against the bed and a plate of food in his hands.

"They'll be back (Y/N). They're all strong. You'll see," he tried to assure me. I didn't have the heart to break his little one so I stayed quiet and covered my face with the sheet and dampened the pillow with my tears. The wait for Newt to come to bed felt eternal and I knew right now, as cliche as it is, only he could comfort me.