Chapter 23

I walked inside the hut and looked around for either Clint or Jeff to get my directions. Jeff finally found me and asked me to switch Alby's wraps while he bandages up two slicers with deep cuts in their hands. They knew I wasn't a Med-jack but I could do that work just as easily as I could be a gardener.

I peered over Alby who's eyes were closed and skin dripping with sweat. I was supposed to remove the wraps around his stomach and replace them with fresh one before washing the healing gash on his forehead.

It took me thirty minutes but I finished fixing up Alby and cleaned up my area. I pecked a soft kiss onto his forehead before leaving the room and went into the girl's. I figured that since I was finished, I could just check on her and return to the gardens unless Jeff or Clint needed me.

When I entered the room, my eyes widened at the empty bed that had been filled only an hour ago. The girl was missing. As I turned around to get someone, I felt a sharp pain on my forehead.

I stumbled back a bit and grabbed my head. I felt a small drop of blood fall into my palm around a bruise I could already feel forming. I caught a glimpse of long black hair before the person took off out of the hut.

"Hey! Come back!" I called and ran after her. The other people in the huts didn't make any attempt to stop the girl but just watched me chase after her.

She ran out of the hut and into the center of the glade. I still didn't know what she looked like because my vision was a little fuzzy from the head wound.

"Hey! Stop running!" I screamed catching up to her even through my limp. She reached the look out tower and started climbing up the ladder. She reached the top the moment I got to the bottom.

"Hey! Greenie, it's okay! Just let me ex— OW!" She threw a rock down, landing right at my head. "Just let me talk to you!"

She threw something else and it landed right on the top of my head again. I fell back off the ladder and rubbed my throbbing forehead. "STOP THROWING THINGS!"

By now other boys were noticing that something was happening with the two girls so they began coming over. Newt rushed to me and quickly helped me off the ground. His worried eyes stared at the gash on my head.

"What's going on?" Gally asked with his hands on his hips.

"The girl woke up and then hit me over the head with... well I don't know and then I chased her out here and now she's throwing things at me," I said seconds before more things started raining down.

"Hey!"

"OW!"

"Someone get her!"

"Someone get Thomas." Boys shouted while running out of the way of the falling objects. I honestly didn't realize we had so much stuff packed up there for her to use against us.

A few boys ran off to grab objects to use as shields while other tried reasoning with her.

"Chuck," I calling the young boy to me. He ran right over and looked up. "Go get Thomas and Minho." He smiled and ran off knowing he was helping us. It was sweet.

"Why did you do that?" Winston asked running over with a large wood plank. 

"I assume she knows Thomas. Right now, he might be the only person to reason with her," I explained. One of the objects that was falling landed on the top of my head again but this time Newt quickly grabbed my waist and pulled me with him under Winston's shelter. I laughed at our situation while holding onto Newt for no reason besides wanting to be close to him.