Chapter 28

The hallway the door lead out to was dimly lit, until the lights clicked on chronologically as if the opening of the door triggered the ON switch. Thomas took the lead and chose to take the left path towards the exit. The rest of us trailed behind like little ducklings, wanting someone else to make the decisions.

Newt's sweaty hand moved when mine did just so that each of us knew where the other was. We had already lost so much, endured so much heartache that the sheer thought of separating from him could drive me mad.

Thomas stopped at a door labeled 'Control Room', a bright green sign hung over the door spelling the word EXIT. It was taunting us. We had risked our lives to make it this far, to escape, and it seemed that our escape was simply a door labeled with a fire exit? It churned our stomachs.

"Seriously?" Frypan muttered somewhere in the group. Apparently, he had the same thought as me. Thomas hesitantly turned the handle and pushed the door open, which for us seemed like a miracle. It would have been just our luck for the door to be locked.

A few people entered the room before Newt nudged me forward so I could go next. been though I was extremely scared to, I walked in with Newt's hand still secured in my grasp.

Blood was splattered against the floors, walls, and even part of the ceiling in one place. The lifeless bodies of WICKED's people were thrown around the room, showing exactly how each one died: a bullet.

Minho, who was in front of me, kicked a silver gun from one of the bodies hands as he walked past. I gasped when I saw the two bodies lying on a table behind a glass window, both of their stomachs slit and still flowing blood. This couldn't have happened too long ago.

A hand on my shoulder made me jump, but I calmed down when I saw it was Newt. He pushed me further so I couldn't look anymore at the bodies. He brought me to a wall of computers, each of the screens with of a different angle of the Glade (e.g. one had a view of the Homestead, one of the pits, one of the entrance of the maze, etc.).

"So they were watching us," Newt whispered, staring at the one aimed at the gardens

"So they were watching us," Newt whispered, staring at the one aimed at the gardens. "You alright?" He had shifted his attention over to me. Looking up at him, I shook my head.

"Hi, my name is Doctor Ava Paige," a woman's voice made me jump again. It wasn't until I saw that she was talking through a video that I calmed down. Newt set his hand on my back to guide me over towards the screen where our friends were watching the video intently. Honestly, if it wasn't for Newt, I wouldn't have been able to move anywhere since he was practically pulling me everywhere I needed to go.

"If you're watching this, then you've successfully completed the Maze Trials," the woman spoke. She was wearing all white with a thick layer of pink lipstick and her hair pinned back in a tight bun. She answered all of our questions— who exactly she was, why were put in the maze and what happened to the world.

As much as I wanted to listen to the woman, I couldn't when the guards came. An army of guards wearing thick black suits marched into the room behind her with guns blazing. They didn't even take a second glance as they massacred the room of people frantically trying to run away.