Chapter 20

Camila deleted the dating app from her phone.

Following her confession, Lauren found it a lot harder without the aid of alcohol to lose her inhibition in regards to her roommate and her growing feelings for the girl. Things weren't exactly different between them but they also weren't the same.

But something had changed; that much she was sure of.

It was new and strange and Lauren found that she was completely out of her comfort zone. But she figured it was something she would just have to get over, that it was worth getting over.

They didn't talk about it again. But Camila stopped going on the casual dates and Lauren spent nearly every moment she got for almost a week asking Ally—and even Normani too—about what she should do next so that she wouldn't mess things up.

They also spent a great deal of that time trying to keep her from psyching herself out again. Because Camila could even outright say, over and over, that she feels the same way and Lauren still wouldn't be convinced.

Because why on Earth would someone like Camila settle for someone as damaged and fucked up as Lauren?

And all of Lauren's silence on the situation left Camila wondering if she only just said what she said that night because she had been drinking. She didn't want to push the other girl if she felt it wasn't what she really wanted but she was also tired of wondering.

And she thought maybe she should just suck it up and say something seeing as how Lauren was the queen of avoiding everything.

Like, literally everything.

She decided if Lauren wasn't going to do anything about it then it was because she was nervous, not because she changed her mind or didn't really mean what she told her. She was tired of doubting herself, or just not trusting that someone might actually care about her.

Lauren was her friend. Lauren cared about her. Lauren didn't want her going out with other people anymore.

She told herself that, repeated it in her head as she waited for her to come out of a meeting with her philosophy professor. Lauren had submitted an extra credit assignment in the hopes that it could boost her grade over the barely passing line and she was finally getting it back. And Camila leaned her head back against the seat of her car, nervous for more reasons than one.

She didn't know how much time had passed before she spotted her raven haired roommate exiting the building. Camila had offered to drive her to her next lecture all the way on the other side of campus while she killed time before her next class. She couldn't read the expression on her face and bounced her knee, hitting it against the bottom of the steering wheel as she waited for her to make her way over.

She kept her eyes down, her assignment slightly rolled up in one hand, the other gripping her bag over her shoulder. As she descended down the campus steps she looked up to spot the brunette's car not too far from her and Camila offered a smile, feeling her heart rate speeding up and her hands getting significantly sweatier than before.

She wiped the palms of them on her jean covered thighs and swallowed just as Lauren's attention was pulled by a familiar brown haired girl approaching her.

Camila narrowed her eyes as she watched them talk. She recognized the girl from the party at their apartment but it didn't really bring her any form of comfort, remembering the things she had said to her.

It didn't bring her any comfort when she saw the way she was looking at her, the way she touched her arm, the way Camila's stomach turned and dropped altogether thinking about all the things she could possibly be saying to her. She furrowed her brows and decided to tear her eyes away and just stare down at her lap, waiting for their conversation to be over.