Chapter 21

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened?"

Camila glanced up from the book she was reading, but not long enough to catch the concerned look in the girl's eyes. She knew she was worried. But she couldn't handle the pity again.

She was feeling a bit of déjà vu but she knew this was different. She was thinking more rationally. Well, she thought so anyway. Because she had every right to be upset. She promised herself she wasn't going to come back but...desperate times, right?

She remained silent and went back to reading. She could feel the blonde's eyes still on her and it made her uncomfortable. She didn't want to talk about it. She just wanted to avoid the topic as long as possible. The longer she avoided it the longer she avoided thinking about Lauren.

"Not that I don't love having you here, but there was obviously a reason. And you're obviously upset about something."

"Please..." she sighed deeply, still not bringing her gaze up to hers. "I told you. I can handle this on my own. I don't want you getting involved."

"Why not?"

"Because I know you, Dinah."

"Why can't you just tell me what she did? I know you're not just pissed and can't go home, conveniently after your date, because it went really well."

"You take protective to obnoxious levels. And I love you so much. But please...stay out of it?" she asked in a gentle tone, her voice tired and defeated. She knew her best friend meant well. But she hadn't even fully processed everything yet and she didn't need the girl going to her apartment and kicking her roommate's ass. Even if she deserved it. Dinah remained appearing unconvinced. "For me?"

"You're lucky I love you too. Or else I would have already gone over there and punched the shit out of her pretty ass face."

"I know. And I appreciate you actually not doing that. I don't want to make this a bigger mess, okay? And I can't thank you enough for letting me crash with you again."

"Girl, I told you that this is your home too. You're family and you can stay whenever you want."

Camila lowered her book in her lap and couldn't help but smile up at Dinah. She knew she was always welcome in the Hansen household but it still meant a lot to hear that the girl always had her back. She stood from where she was sitting and pulled her into a tight hug.

"I love you."

"I love you too," she mumbled into her shoulder. She rubbed her back just before pulling away but she held her at arm's length and narrowed her eyes. "You're really not gonna tell me what happened."

"No."

"Ugh. Fine. I'll mind my own business," she conceded, rolling her eyes and shoving her away.

"Thank you."

"You sure you don't want to talk about it at all?" she tried one last time. Camila rubbed her eye as she sat back down, crossing her legs and bringing her book back into her lap. She frowned down at it, her mind inevitably going back to the green eyed girl and she drew in a long breath.

"I just needed to get away for a bit is all."

"I don't get it; you're pissed at her but you won't let me beat her ass? What are you trying to protect her for if she hurt you?"

"I'm not protecting her. I just...I don't know, Dinah. I'm still not sure what I'm feeling. I mean, yeah, I'm upset. But..."

"But?"