Chapter 23

Things were silent between them again.

And it wasn't for lack of trying. It wasn't entirely intentional. Not really. Lauren wanted to give Camila her space which, as it turned out, was super convenient since she was in the hospital and Camila—as far as she knew—was still staying at Dinah's.

It wasn't exactly what she wanted but she didn't really want to be in the hospital in the first place not even knowing what her relationship with her roommate even was but...whatever. It was better than any other alternative she was genuinely anticipating so she figured it was fine. Things could be worse.

And it wasn't like Camila didn't try to make an effort. Despite the war she was having with herself on whether or not she should even reach out again, all things considered, but there was a nagging feeling biting at her, reminding her that things were delicate.

If she remembered anything from the last time Lauren tried to get clean was that she was a vulnerable, breakable mess. And regardless of what she felt, she just wanted to make sure the girl was okay.

Well, she would have if Lauren was actually anywhere to be found when she went to go see her again. She could have sworn she was supposed to be in the hospital for a couple more days but when she went back to see how she was doing she was only met with an empty room and a million questions.

Or, one, actually. Where the fuck was she?

The conversation that followed with Ally was a simple one. It went something like this.

"Did I get Lauren's room wrong or did they move her or something?"

"What? No, she left last night."

"Left? Where did she go? I went back to our apartment last night to feed the cat and she wasn't there."

"She didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"She's in rehab."

She really didn't mean to hang up on the girl, in all honesty. But she desperately needed a moment to just process what she had said.

Lauren was actually in rehab.

She didn't know how long she would be there; neither did Ally apparently. And part of her worried for how much school she was missing, knowing how much the girl hated how far behind she had already fallen over the years. She didn't blame her for wanting to be done with it as soon as possible.

But this was good. This was really good. Camila wasn't completely confident that Lauren wouldn't spiral further downward if it were even possible. She didn't know if she was being honest; that she really, truly wanted to get her life back and actually be serious about it.

As much as she wanted to hate her roommate for lying to her again and for stealing from her she couldn't shake the feeling that, despite everything, Lauren had changed so much since the day they first met. And before this whole mess she knew she could say, with full confidence, that Lauren was a good person.

She wasn't sure how to go about things but she reckoned with Lauren gone for however long she would at least have some time to figure things out. And as long as she was there she would be getting help. She'd be staying out of trouble.

This was good for both of them.

*

It was a strange feeling, walking down the familiar streets after everything that had happened. Lauren didn't know what to expect when she left her inpatient program a week later and was met with the daunting reality of being on her own again.