[11]

"How many times are we going to talk about drama from yesterday? And even worse that it's about Talia?" Maureen scoffed, looking to her broken best friend

What happened in the lunch room was completely uncalled for and something Jennifer no doubt could have lived without. She hadn't really talked to Colter— not really giving him the chance either. She'd ignored his texts, calls, and attempts in class. Instead, she invited her last standing best friend over to her house for dinner and a movie, where they spent their whole night talking about every piece of drama that had taken place within the last month.

"I know, but I don't think you understand..." Jennifer trailed off as she slugged onto the bench in the girls' locker room.

"I do understand. What she did was vile, but talking about it's not going to solve a damn thing. If you really want to finish what she started, go talk to her." Maureen suggested, shrugging a shoulder as she turned the dial to her locker, entering the combination.

When she heard no response, she looked over her shoulder at her paled best friend, her shoulders drooping as she sighed longingly. Jennifer had been like this for the past two weeks now, ever since Talia strutted into the classroom, appearing from what seemed to be thin air.

"You don't understand," Jennifer whispered. She'd noticed something yesterday when her boyfriend sat mauling another girl's face with his tongue— a girl she had long despised. "Hear me out, Mar. I know you've never been with Colter and truthfully you two aren't close, but I've been with the guy for a year now and if I know Colter like I know Colter, he would never let someone touch his hair."

Looking to her best friend to see if she'd connected the pieces, Maureen stood with a hand on her hip and her eyebrows furrowed.

"Colter doesn't let anyone touch his hair..." Jennifer smiled lightly at the memory of the teasing argument they had about touching his hair when they first got together. "It stays to perfection, every minute, every second of the day and not one hair is out of place."

"I mean, the boy to this day wouldn't let me touch his hair and we're past the lovey-dovey phase"

"Jen what are you trying to say? So what about his hair? He's a stupid boy and that's all they worry about." Maureen added, falling next to her friend that still sat against the wooden bench. Jennifer's legs crossed at the ankle as she wrung her hands, a permanent line adorning her forehead as all worrying thoughts crossed her mind.

"I'm saying yesterday when Colter and Talia had their fun, Talia's hands were in his hair the whole time. And did Colter complain and push her away? No, he just continued sucking her face while I sat watching."

Maureen sighed at the stupidity of her best friend's main worries, yet at the same time she concluded she had a point. Talia's hands met Colter's hair before they even started making out, surely Colter was just taken by surprise by the whole situation. That didn't necessarily mean the observation held any logic at all.