[27]

Talia dipped the end of her cracker into the bowl of steaming chicken noodle soup and lifted it to her lips, nearly choking on it in amusement as she saw Pattie rush back into the kitchen

After Talia and Colter had taken a shower, separately of course, they were called to the massive, yet homey kitchen by the shouts of Colter's mother. The minute they stepped foot into the kitchen, Pattie's worry had shifted to pure anger and Talia had to sit back and listen as he was scolded like a toddler who'd drawn along the walls.

Pattie's voice was the highest it could go and after minutes of pure rage she rushed out of the kitchen, yelling over her shoulder that she needed a break. Not even seconds later was she back in front of Colter pointing at him with an accusing finger.

"...And do you know what happened when they called your name off the waiting list?" Pattie's question was obviously rhetorical but Colter's mouth still opened to answer it. He didn't get much out though because as soon as the first word escaped his throat, Pattie's voice was yelling atop his.

"I looked like an idiot standing up and confessing I had no idea where my deranged son had fled to!"

Deranged?

Talia heard Colter repeat the word in his mind as he was clearly offended.

"Then after they checked my ID and blood alcohol level— which was highly inappropriate!" She added. "They called hospital security and together we had a team of thirteen search the entire seven level hospital for you Colter!" Her chest heaved hard but she was obviously nowhere close to finished.

Colter's chocolate orbs rolled as he watched his mother berate him. "It wasn't that serious..."

"Was I supposed to know that? Tell me Colter, step into my shoes and picture your sick son disappearing out of thin air—"

"I went to the bathroom!" His arms flew out trying to sell his point, though it was obviously bullshit and all three of them could call it.

"Well, how come they searched all the male restrooms and found no one by your description?" Her eyes grew wide and the tone of her voice was incredulous.

The trio sat in silence until Talia counted to one hundred and thirteen in her head, then finally someone spoke.

"And I'm not sick!" Colter seemed angry now too as he flew from his chair, his body back to regular actions and quick movements. Obviously the warm shower and hot soup helped.

"You're not sick?" Pattie repeated, slamming her forehead to her closed fist again and again until she stopped and looked back up to Colter with the same sad eyes he had witnessed this morning. "Are you kidding me Colt?"

"You don't think what happened this morning wasn't some sickness? I talked to the only doctor at the hospital who studied pathology and after describing your symptoms he said he had never heard of such a thing." Even though Pattie's voice had broken down into a whisper, he still looked at her with defiant eyes and a taut jaw.

"I think what you experienced was not... worldly." Pattie sent a quick prayer to the skies above as she looked back to her son who now had his eyes closed. Even she couldn't believe what she was really saying. Never in a million years would she even suggest something so asinine, but his behavior had been something she had never seen.

"I had the flu," he spoke quickly, his eyes shooting back open to convince his mother. "I definitely wasn't..."

Before Colter could finish his sentence Talia was now standing between the two, her back facing Pattie as she looked down to Colter who had found his seat again.

"You were what?" Talia gasped, the pieces of the story that had been scrambled in her mind finally snapped together like a clear puzzle.

"No, no way" she pivoted to match Pattie's eyes. "What was he like?" She was afraid to ask, knowing the outcome was already one of the worst.

"I went into his room to check on him and he was just sitting there, staring out the window. Even when I closed the shades he wouldn't move and he wasn't responding to anything I said. It was like his mind was somewhere completely different. When he did respond he kept saying lane." Talia began pulling at her hair when she heard exactly what she didn't want to.

"And oh god, when I touched him...it was like he was made of stone, he was so cold" Pattie's eyes had fallen to floor as she thought of the terrible memories.

"Why?" She asked next, "Do you think you might know what was wrong with him?"

"No," Talia answered way too quickly for anyone to believe her, but again Pattie's anger seemed to surface and now it was directed towards her.

"And you!" both of Pattie's hands found her forehead where she pushed the stray hairs out of her face. "My son disappears for hours and when he returns home, he's with you, completely soaked and nearly frozen to death!"

"Pattie," Colter cut across his mother's anger with his own, yet she didn't listen.

"You know he has a girlfriend. So tell me, why does he continue to bring you home?" Pattie continued, this time her finger pointing straight into Talia's face.

"Pattie"

"You barely wear any clothes and even when the temperature is near zero, you still bring my shivering son home in a t-shirt shirt and leggings. And to top that off, this time you're barefoot." Talia looked down at her clothes, knowing she no longer wore what Pattie had described but now sported a pair of Colter's sweatpants and one of his t-shirts which were oversized on her. And yet she still sat barefoot while Pattie yelled.

"Patricia!" Colter's voice rose and both their heads snapped to his angry glare.

"When did you ever find it ok to be so disrespectful towards my guest?" Colter's voice was nasty as he stood from the wooden chair that previously supported his weight.

Growing accustomed to his tone, Pattie was quiet for a while. It wasn't until his labored breathing quieted that finally she responded. "You don't act yourself when you're around this girl, Colter! I'm not going to continue to watch you disappear for God knows how long and then return with her" Pattie was frustrated as she looked at Talia who was staring at the flooring of the kitchen.

Talia pulled the long sleeves of Colter's shirt over her closed fists while her teeth trapped her bottom lip, pulling at it unmercifully. Never had Talia had such a motherly figure talk down to her with such disappointment. Now, she was repulsed for laughing at Colter minutes ago when he had endured it.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Knox" Talia apologized quietly, walking around the table to the boy who had ushered her closer.

With that, Colter hoped Talia's last words had fueled his mother's guilt as he reached for Talia's hand as they left the room.