[35]

"I know he is"

"I know he is"

Jennifer gulped quietly. She looked to Talia, but again, her head was back, exposing her throat. This time her mouth was opened wide, her eyes squeezed shut in apparent pain and her nails clawing at the armrests her arms were roped to. 

It was as if she was screaming as loud as she possibly could, her lungs even expanding to their fullest potential, yet still no sound ventured out.

"I've been watching him for the past few weeks thanks to little Talia sleeping under the same roof. Last night is when he really caught my eye...remember Jen?" It was as if Jennifer was thinking out loud. The sound of her voice not being spoken by her own mouth was terrifying to her. This wasn't the act of a good impressionist either. It was perfect, it was her...but it wasn't. "Watching the two of you so cozy and wrapped around each other while we tortured poor Talia downstairs was..." The voice paused.

"Erotic"

Finally, Talia eased from her pained position. She gasped for air at this point, her chest rising and falling in a gallivanting pattern and then a sob rocketed from her gaped lips. The sob was guttural sounding, but human all the same. Her defense was slowly crumbling because of the pain they were causing.

"Did she scare you a bit Jen?" Both Jennifer and Colter's attention snapped from a sobbing Talia to the phone on the table with its battery nearly drained at this point.

"Who?" Jennifer challenged though she knew exactly what they were talking about.

"Did Talia scare you when she had you pinned against the basement wall?"

"No," Jennifer spat through gritted teeth, her hand removing itself from Colter's to ball into a fist. The urge to pick the phone up and throw it until it smashed against another wall was high.

"No?" The voice laughed her laugh. "I'd say the way you scrambled up those steps proved otherwise."

"No!" Jennifer spat back even nastier. "I wasn't scared of Talia. Talia wasn't the one who had me against that wall, that wasn't Talia whispering in my ear, and that certainly wasn't Talia speaking either."

Silence coated the room like a heavy fog, festering in the room until it nearly suffocated them all. The thicker it got, the more energy it sucked from Talia and the further Jennifer's tolerance level thinned.

"You're right," then a sigh.

"Poor Talia's been fighting so hard," the two looked to Talia who was crying to herself. Her tears that had run red since her resurrection were now black and stretching down her flushed cheeks like deepening roots. Talia squirmed in pain, the presence of such beings aching the marrow in her bones.

"I'll never understand why she resigned from her job when it came to you two. You'd think with you two causing the most damage in her life, you'd be first to go." And with those last words, the line went dead; the monotone beep alerting its owner that the call was officially over.