[38]

"Listen, I know I've kinda broken my deal, but I was thinking

"Listen, I know I've kinda broken my deal, but I was thinking...what if I just kill Jen?" She sounded almost hysterical as she swiveled from facing the wall to look at Colter. "Then maybe it'll buy me some time."

All Colter could do was stare with an open mouth while the brunette in front of him paced back and forth along his bedroom floor. They still stood in his room nearly three hours later. They'd relished in fresh clothes and even had a normal conversation to try and cheer Talia up, but that all fell into a downward spiral about ten minutes ago.

It was Talia, but it wasn't.

It wasn't her demons either.

It was more like her subconscious and all the crazy thoughts that were held for ransom there. She'd been speaking in broken sentences and incomplete thoughts and the craziest one had obviously just been offered up.

Colter had been standing against the door for the past fifteen minutes, deciding keeping her in the room was best fit for the mood she was going into. Her attitude and mannerisms under nearly psychotic, out of character, and most importantly...almost borderline.

He couldn't even begin to understand how he was able to keep up with the antics of the girl. She was fucking crazy, he knew it, but still he couldn't leave her or even remove her from his own home. Endangering his poor, innocent mother was just as crazy an idea as pacifying Talia, but still he couldn't accept the weighing decision of sending her on her way.

"T-Time for what," dammit he stuttered. Stuttering always gave Talia the advantage because then she most definitely knew he was scared. She lived off of the fear of others.

"For us to be together, crazy." Talia chuckled, turning back to face the wall that was in fact blank. Still she looked at it as if it held the secrets of the world— like written on it were the answers to everything.

"Me? Crazy?" Colter was chuckling too. "Don't get me wrong Talia, I like you. I like you a lot, but Jen... I still love Jennifer." He moved from his stance at the door to the bed with fresh sheets, newly made, awaiting the arrival of a body.

Then, Talia laughed. Not like the laugh minutes before, but one that lacked so much humor, it scared Colter to his core. A laugh so dry and mocking that it sparked a bit of angry angst in the both of them.

"Love? You still love Jennifer?"

Colter could only nod at this point, the feeling in his gut telling him to flee as soon as fucking possible because even if he thought he could handle every angle and degree of Talia, she was here to prove him wrong.

There was anger bubbling within her, most definitely, but even Colter knew that wasn't what he was afraid of this time. Her lack of movement, empty voice, and blank stares directed towards him radiated death. Something so lethal and impractical, every fiber of his being was screaming to use his feet for what they were made for and walk away.