[37]

"My powers are weakening," she whispered so hoarsely it was almost inaudible

The two still lay practically naked, with only their underwear back on after their ravenous rounds of sex. The sheets were wound around them to cover their most secretive parts, wrapping around their ankles and even between their legs. Of course it was the finest sheets available— Celestial Blue 350-count combed cotton linens, scalloped embroidery with three solid initials tattooed onto each piece, CLK.

"Powers? What does that mean?" Of course he knew what she meant, but were they really powers? Powers had always been reserved for superheroes, right? And Talia was far from any sort of hero.

She was more like a villain actually. Causing mayhem and imposing trouble, all while with a smile on her face pointed to yes. Yes, Talia was a villain, but still he laid next to her, his hand wrapped in hers and their legs intertwined. No matter how much he tried to stray from her, he always found the aching in his gut pulling him back.

A perfect example, when Talia fled from his house in the early morning before anyone in the house had awoken.

He should've just left her alone then. He should've let her become someone else's problem. Then again, that problem became Jen's problem and he couldn't let that happen either. At that point he didn't know if he was chasing Talia or protecting Jen.

"Powers. Advantages. Clairvoyant tendencies... whatever the hell you want to call them." She whined, releasing Colter's hand to slam her fist to the velvety sheets.

Leaning up on his elbows, Colter drunk in the sight of Talia. He started at her pink painted toes, working his eyes up her slim, tan legs, up over the parts the sheets unfortunately covered to her lean stomach. It wasn't particularly muscular, but robust nonetheless. His gaze continued up to her full chest he'd just kissed for the past hour and a half, to her neck that just recently gained nearly a dozen little bruises; he couldn't help himself. Finally his stare rested on her beautiful face.

How had something once so innocent been destroyed by the acts of a few teens who held nothing but jealousy? Maybe in the later years it'd never been about jealousy, but he was sure when Jen and her friends decided to pick on Talia in junior high it was because of what Talia had.

Pretty face, good grades, and surely a bright future ahead of her.

Sure she might not have dressed the best or been the most sociable, but that shouldn't have meant anything. She had everything any normal person would've ever wanted. Her successful future was right there, just nearly out of palms reach and a select few got to it just before she did. They ripped it from her vicinity and threw it to the floor, crushing it to pieces under their hatful scrutiny.

Had Colter been one of those to rip her success straight from her hands?

"Watch" she whispered, sitting up in bed on her elbows too. She pointed to the ensuite across the room from the bed they both occupied.