[34]

"Jennifer this is for you

"Jennifer this is for you. Listen and listen closely," Talia's voice rung out in the darkness towards the blonde. It was like last night all over again. The both of them stray in the dark, scared out of their mind and Jennifer aware of Talia's upper-hand on the situation again.

"Ok," Jennifer gasped out.

"Hurry and go turn the kitchen light on. You need enough light to not be consumed by complete darkness but enough to see." No one could see, but Jennifer nodded stiffly, her hands already reaching out to turn around and find the kitchen.

"Colter light the candles," Talia demanded, her breathing becoming quite heavy. "I think I counted six. Light all six and place them on the table in front of me." Colter flew to his knees, his trembling fingers searching for the candles, and unfortunately, the lighter that had hit the ground.

"Hurry up!" Talia screamed to Jennifer.

The light to the kitchen snapped on and seconds later Jennifer was rounding the corner back into the living room.

"The candles Colter!" Talia raged.

"I can't find the lighter!" His hands searched underneath the couch blindly. Jennifer joined him and was lucky enough to reach down and grab the cylinder from the floor on her first try. Grabbing for the first candle, she successfully lit it and then used it to light the others.

Nearing the sixth candle, she reached down to finally light it but she seemed stunned when it lit before her eyes on its very own. The wick stood straight and the small orange light glowed mockingly in her face.

Ignore it, she decided.

"Now what?" She looked to Talia whose face held so much pain it made both her and Colter shudder. Her nose was gnarled into a painful grimace, her teeth were barred, and the sweat beginning at her hairline and upper lip that were only recognizable with pain.

"Make sure to keep a light on..." Talia's breathing was slowing, a much different pace to what was happening seconds before. "And never let the candles go out. Never"

"Ok, but—"

"Never let the candles go out Jennifer! Do you understand me?" It was obvious rhetorical as she continued, "both of you are fucked if the lights go out...because now we're playing their game."

666

The couple sat on the couch, curled into one another in complete uneasiness. Sure Colter had dealt with a few of Talia's demons, but never to this extent.

For the first time ever her eyes were solid black, so black and empty that not even the white held any color. It almost seemed as if saying her eyes were bright red a few hours ago was some joke.

Both teens sat with their backs pressed into the couch, the furthest they could go, with their knees brought to their chest to support their shaking bodies. Jennifer gripped Colter's hand so tight he wouldn't be surprised if a purple bruise was left behind after she let go.