Chapter Six:

Back at the boarding house

- 3rd person POV -

"You brought back John Gilbert? That was your big save-Eliana and Elena move?" Damon questioned Stefan.

"I went to go look for Isobel, and I found John instead. He said he could help us, and we're desperate." Stefan answered.

"We're not that desperate, Stefan. The guy tried to barbecue me."

"Damon, Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed. Eliana and Elena are putting all their faith into some deal that they made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don't trust him. He's an Original. He can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him because apparently he can't die."

"Still waiting for the part where John Gilbert is the answer." Damon asked confused.

"He knew about the sacrifice. Isobel told him. He said he knew a way to keep Elena and Eliana safe."

"And how do we do that?"

"He's not talking, at least not to me, anyway." Stefan admitted.

"Great work, Stefan, top notch. As if I didn't have enough problems."

"Hey, I'm sorry about Rose."

"Whatever, I knew the woman for like five minutes."

"And you cared about her after five minutes, though. I wonder what that means." Stefan said.

"It means I care, Stefan. It means I'm changing and evolving into a man capable of greatness. You better watch your back because I may just have to go get me a Hero hairdo of my own and steel your thunder." Damon said with disdain.

- Eliana's POV -

"Where's John?" Damon asked storming through the front door.

"He's not here. He left. I don't know where he went. He just blew in, announced to Jenna that he was mine and Elena's dad, and then he took off." I explained

"It's public knowledge now?" Damon asked stunned.

"Apparently."

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Jenna's head is spinning, but I'm ok."

"He say what he was doing here?"

"No. I don't believe him for a second."

"No I don't, either."

"What are we gonna do?"

"Kill him."

"Damon--"

"I'm joking. Okay. I'm a little serious."

"Damon!"

"I'm not gonna hurt him, Eliana. I'm the good guy now, remember."

"What does that mean?" I asked confused.

"I'm gonna have a civil conversation with your father." Damon explained.

"Wait. I'm coming with you." I grabbed my leather jacket and headed out the door behind Damon.

About twenty minutes later we arrived at the Grill and happened to see John talking to Jenna, Alaric, and Elena.

"We just need answers. Please don't do anything stupid."

"Yeah, but stupid is so much more fun." Damon said sarcastically.

"Damon, I mean it. All I'm asking is you try to keep it together. Be the better man."

"Ok, then."

- 3rd person POV -

"John, buddy.... how you been?"

"I've been all right, Damon. It's good to see you." John said.

"So, John, rumor has it, you know a lot and won't say anything." said Damon.

"How do I know you can be trusted, Damon? Originals can compel vampires. According to Stefan, that's why Katherine is still in the tomb, because an Original compelled her to stay there."

"Only because all the vervain had left her system. Stefan and I, on the other hand, are choke full."

"You guys are drinking vervain?" John asked puzzled.

"It's an acquired taste. I don't see that magical ring on your stitched finger, so if you know something about Klaus, you better start talking, or I'll kill you in your sleep."

"Now is that any way to convince me that you and I are on the same side? First, I need to know that I can trust you, Damon, that I can count on you. Then we'll talk." John said before he left.

- Eliana's POV -

Watching Andie Star flirt with Damon made me a little jealous. All right a lot jealous. But then he turned her down and walked away.

"You totally blew her off." that was all I could say.

"I'm steering clear of all women at the moment."

"You didn't have to be rude."

"Trust me, it's in the best interest of women everywhere."

"Nice. You know, here I thought I was an exception. I mean, after all I thought we had something, but then again I guess not!" before he could say anything my phone started ringing.

"Stefan. What is it?"

"Jules has Caroline and she's threatening to kill her if we don't give them Tyler."

After I hung up with Stefan, I went to the restroom and Damon happened to follow me in.

"Why am I just finding out about this now?"

"Elena and Stefan were worried that you--"

"That I would what, what that I would kill him? Of courses. That's what needs to happen."

"No, please, Damon, not Tyler. Do whatever you need to do to get Caroline back, but leave Tyler out of it, ok?"

"Why? He's a werewolf. He needs to die. I'm willing to kill. It's a win-win."

"Damon, please, ok? Too many people have died."

"You need to stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

"Assuming that I'll play the good guy because it's you who's asking."

"Be the better man, Damon." I sighed and saw John burst through the door at that moment.

"Do you mind?" Damon asked when he turned to John.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Doesn't look like nothing."

"Well, guess what, John. Trust works both ways. Get out."

"Look. We don't have time for this. We need to get Caroline back."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry for not posting sooner but I do have a great excuse.

I went to my mom's for Christmas with my boyfriend and spent a week with them and then my Grandma wanted me to visit her, so I stayed a few days with her.

My boyfriend's parents wanted us to spend New Year's eve with them and we did. At 11:59 that night my boyfriend Rhyn proposed to me and I said yes. So we spent a week or so up at his parent's log cabin in Vermont and we just got back a few hours ago.

So I thought that I'd go a head and post this chapter and next Thursday I'll post another chapter.

I hope you will forgive me for being late but I did give you my great excuse...