The Phone Call (19)

Caden's Puppy ^

Alexia's POV

I stirred around as I started to wake up.

Wherever I was, I didn't remember, but I was laying on something extremely comfortable.

My eyes slowly began to flutter open as the memories came flooding back.

"Is she awake yet?"

"Shush mom."

I noticed an adorable little German Shepard puppy curled up next to me and I scratched behind his ears.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, looking around for Caden and Margarette.

I looked through the doorway to what I assumed was the kitchen and saw Margarette's back facing me. She seemed to be talking to someone else, who I could only assume was Caden.

"Caden?" I caked out groggily, still sleep hazed.

"Lexi? Cmon she's awake." I heard him reply and he came out from behind Margarette. He walked both the living room where I had fallen asleep and sat down on the arm of the couch.

"What time is it?" I asked as Margarette too made her way into the living room.

"Uh about 5." Caden answered, scratching the back of his neck. "Sleep well?"

"Yeah, actually. The best I have in about my whole life." I replied, instantly thinking back to the lumpy couch of my apartment. My home.

I felt my heart sting for a moment as I remembered my family.

"My family..." I stretched out, instantly shutting my mouth when I realized I was talking out loud.

"Oh honey." Margarette exclaimed and bent down in front of the couch, throwing her arms around my neck. "It's gonna be okay."

I noticed the slight southern accent Margarette had. It suited her. She had strawberry blonde hair that cut right before her shoulders. She had a slim body type but was short, definitely shorter than Caden. About my height which was 5'4 or so.

"Lexi," Caden said scooting off the arm of the couch and plopping next to me. "My mom might know your parents."

I widened my eyes and felt my jaw drop. How...?

"Oh! Yes, yes. The name Ian Conners sounded oddly familiar. I had his name in my contacts but I couldn't figure out where I knew him from. Then I hit me! His wife used to do my hair! I have Maria Conners' contact as well." Margarette explained with a wide smile.

"Did you call them?" I asked, edging forwards on the couch.

"No, no not yet sweetheart. I wanted to wait until you were awake." She told me and gave a another smile.

"We have to!" I exclaimed quickly, jumping up and searching around frantically for the phone.

"Okay, darling. One moment." Margarette said and pulled out her phone from her jean pocket and tapped quickly in the screen.

I heard her mutter numbers to her self as she went to call either my mom or my dad.

I heard the ringing and frantically rushed over to her, kneeling on the ground, desperately stared at the phone that was ringing up "Maria Conners"

I almost broke down into tears when I heard her angelic voice.

"Hello?"