The awful driver

"What? A freshers' party? But isn't it too late? It's almost two months into the first term," you said when Kinjou told you about the upcoming welcome party for the first-years.

"Well, the committee who always organises the events had some business to take care of and were too busy. Most people are coming, I heard even upperclassmen are deciding to come."

"But isn't it only for the first-years to get to know each other better? Whatever, are you going?"

"Sure, why not? Let's go together."

"No," you both were on your way to the next seminar you had together. Although you saw that Kinjou was shocked he didn't stop midway, unlike some other people he kept calm.

"Why? You didn't have to say it that way."

"You are too popular, man. The girls won't leave me alone."

"What? What do you mean?"

Crap. 

You forgot that Kinjou didn't even know he was popular with girls.

"Nothing. Forget it."

You brushed the thought off and sat next to Kinjou. Astrophysic. Boring as always. Honestly every module was boring, the whole course you were studying was boring. The only reason why you chose your major was because you were good at it, nothing else. Pretty plain. ((don't choose your uni major based on that, even if you get to meet Arakita...))

"So are we going to the party?"

"You don't really listen to other people, do you? I thought you were more the understandable type."

"I thought we could go with Arakita since you both get along with each other."

"Like hell we are. How in the world did you come to this conclusion?"  you stared at Kinjou angry.

"It might be a good idea since he could be more socially active because-"

"He has an awful attitude, a big mouth and everything that comes out of it is just utter nonsense and crap," interrupting Kinjou, you didn't even look at him anymore but folded your arms on the table and laid your head on it to rest.

"That's just how he is. He is actually a nice guy."

"You mean deep down somewhere? I don't even know if that applies to him."

"Actually he asked me to ask you to be there."

"Huh? What?" confused you shifted your head to face Kinjou better to see his expression. 

He looked pretty serious and didn't intend to make a joke. It took you a minute to process before you realised:

That eyelash guy, he wants to get back at me for what happened yesterday! He wants to humiliate me in front of every single person that attends the party. Well, fine by me. Let's bring on the game.

Clenching your teeth, you looked back at the blackboard and formed a fist.

"Erm?" Kinjou slowly asked.

"Fine, Kinjou. Tell him that I would love to go with the both of you," you said sweetly with a smile while stretching out the word 'love'.

"Er, ok. Will do," was everything you heard from Kinjou as the professor entered the room and shouted for attention.

Half way into the seminar the professor asked to finish exercises in pairs and after that to discuss and compare them in groups of four. You and Kinjou paired up and started working on it. Suddenly Kinjou brought up:

"By the way do you have a driver license? I am doing my mine now."

"What? That's amazing. I am rooting for you," you said.

Luckily, you had Kinjou as your partner who was smart and hardworking meaning he'd do all the work while you slacked off and watched the scenery out of the window.

All of a sudden, you saw a car driving recklessly on uni ground.

Is that even allowed, you thought but your answer was quickly answered when you saw the car had a driving school sign. You tipped Kinjou on the shoulders and pointed outside:

"Is that terrain used to practice driving?"

"Hmm? Yeah, I use it too when I am driving. But that student sure drives dangerous."

"Right? I bet the teacher's pretty scared. I would be, wouldn't want to sit in that person's car."

"I don't really think they are going to pass," Kinjou said and focused on the exercise again.

"And would you stop staring and help me? After all it's pairwork."

"Yea, yea. Fine," reluctantly you tore your gaze of the window and took a quick glance at the sheet. 

Swiftly you finished two exercises and handed them to Kinjou to let him have a look at it. You wanted to know who that driver was. Kinjou was surprised by how fast you were and checked for any mistakes but they were all right. Quietly he whispered:

 "It was no fluke that you were in the top three, huh"

Finally, the car stopped and an elder lady stepped out, smashing the door. The awaited moment was here, the driver would reveal himself and it was no other than...

"I should've known. He would've been the only person who would drive like that. Kinjou, it's that Arakita guy. What does he think he is doing?"

"Ah yeah, I told Arakita that I would practice driving. Although he said he'd rather be in the passenger seat because he drove recklessly on his shooter back in high school. I told him no will do, he has to get his own," he said while his attention was still focused on the work. You opened the window to hear the conversation because the lady looked really angry. 

This is going to be good, you grinned evil.

"Why are you hitting the pedal like a maniac?" the woman furiously screamed.

Guess she's pretty upset, ahaha you never gonna pass like that.

"I'm so sorry, Ma'am!!" Arakita reflected. 

Well, that's new

"I messed up!! I get it!! But...you see...past me keeps saying 'Why aren't you accelerating all the way?' 'You can go faster man'  and stuff. 'Is that all ya got?' He's screaming in my brain, ma'am!!"

"What on earth are you talking about?" the woman got into the car again. 

She rolled down the window and looked worried. Faintly but still clear you could hear them both screaming.

"Accelerate gently as you learned!!"

"What about full speed?!"

"NO!!"

"Let's push the limits!!"

"HUH?!"

"Can you recognise the sign?"

Kinjou who stopped his exercise for a moment looked out of the window and heard everything. Frowning he said:

"Arakita, you go in the passenger's seat...definitely!! Your issues run too deep to learn from your past mistakes!...," pausing, Kinjou continued:
"I had a similar problem with Fukutomi...You beasts."

"Fuku-who?" you asked him but it seemed like Kinjou didn't hear you.

_______

A while passed and Kinjou got his drivers license and according to him Arakita is 'impressive in a terrifying way' since he got his as well, barely.

____________________

Thank you so much for all the views and support^^ I wanted to say that the part where we hear Arakita practising outside until the end is not my original idea but from the manga( I incorporated some stuff but yea) so credit to the mangaka.