Vegas

"Hi umm can I please look at some public records?" I ask the lady at the desk at the county police station.

"Miss you need to be more specific than that."

"Uhh look my name is Marlee Rose. I was adopted and I want to find my real parents. Can you please help me?" I confess.

"Did you ask your adopted parents for any information sweetheart?" She asked.

"Yes. I didn't get much from them. Just to check records here and at the hospital."

"What was your name again sweetie? I can see if you pop up in one of the files." She looks to her computer.

"Marlee Rose." I tell her. She types it in and frowns.

"Well good news, I found the file. Bad news it isn't open to the public. Must mean that it was a private matter."

"Oh." I frown and leave the station. Maybe the hospital would be more helpful. I hail a taxi.

"Where to?"

"The hospital."

"Which one kid? There's a shit ton of them around here!" He laughs at me.

"Can you take me to the closest one? I'm looking for information." I explain.

"You want me to take you to all of them today?" He asked as he started to drive.

"If you can that would be great." I grin at him. I open my purse to see that I only had a twenty. "But I only have $20." I say as my stomach growls. I didn't even bother to get a hotel room either. So actually I have nothing.

"Sorry then it's just the one kid. Good luck though." He dropped me off at the hospital. I paid him then went inside. It felt eerie. Like I've been here before. I pass by a room with someone inside breathing through a tube. People passing by me in a haze, crying tears of happiness or tears of sorrow. It all felt familiar to me. I got to the main desk and asked the nurse the same question as I did at the police station.

"Can you help me? I was adopted and I want to find my real parents. My name is Marlee Rose."

"Rose? That last name sounds familiar." She looked at me. She tried to figure out who I was.

"Can you please just stop staring and tell me if there's a file on me here?" I snap at her. She blinked in shock but went to the computer anyways.

"Well I can't show you the file. It's private. But I can tell you that Marlee Rose was born in Cleveland, Ohio." She spoke quickly and quietly.

"Thank you." I sigh leaving the area. I decided to have a seat in one of the waiting rooms. I sit and think. Why would my dad tell me that I was born here? Did he not know where I was from? Or did he want to make sure I never find out who my real parents are? I just can't believe he would lie to me. An idea clicked and I hate myself for not thinking of it sooner. I google myself but put Cleveland, Ohio behind it. I don't get much. Just a bunch of crap. I settle in to the waiting room chair and fall asleep. I was tired with no money and nowhere to go.