Chapter 19

Five prisoners stared back at us as we held our weapons up, well except for me. The prisoners were in the kitchen area and our group was standing in the place we had tried to reach, the cafeteria. "Who the hell are you?" Daryl spat at the prisoners, his crossbow ready. "Who the hell are you?" One of the prisoners said back. "We really don't have time for this, he's bleeding out." Rick stated and I nodded, then turned my attention back to the prisoners.

"Come on out of there slow and steady." Daryl stated and the prisoners slowly made their way from the kitchen. "What happened to him?" A prisoner asked, he was quite fit unlike the rest. "He was bit." Daryl replied simply. "We need to move him, Glenn see if you can find something." He nodded and ran off, while I grabbed my axe and walked up to one of the prisoners. "Woah lady, woah." He backed up some and I pointed my axe at straight at him.

I watched the other prisoners carefully waiting for them to make a move. I slowly moved my axe away and kept my gaze on the prisoners as Glenn came by with a table. He helped Rick placed Hershel on the table and they moved towards the door, Maggie and T-dog following them as they opened the doors, and killed straggling walkers. I moved away from the prisoners and walked past Daryl, who slowly followed me and left the prisoners behind.

We killed walkers coming towards us in the hallway, keeping them away from Hershel. I spotted a flash of blue and turned, after killing a walker, to see the prisoners following us. "Great, tagalongs." I muttered and struck a walker in the head, and pulled my axe from its skull. "Carl! Open the gate!" Rick shouted as the boy opened the doors and let us through. I slowly walked in the prisoners following behind me

"Oh my god." Carol said and covered her mouth when she saw Hershel. Lori and Beth ran up and followed us into a room along with Carol. "Move him to the bed!" Rick shouted, but I stopped him. "We need something to stop the bleeding." Carol nodded. "We have towels." I quickly nodded and Lori shouted out to Carl. "Go grab towels!" The boy ran off and Carol followed him, returning with pillows and Carl with towels. I elevated his leg with the pillows and wrapped the towels around his stub. "Is he gonna die?" I turned to Beth, her small voice shaky. "No. No. He'll be alright." Lori reassured her. "So all we can do is keep pressure on it and keep it elevated?" Carol asked softly. "For now, that's all we can do, but I'm no doctor." I said backing away from Hershel, wiping the back of my hand over my forehead to wipe off the blood.

"Hey! This is my house, my rules, I go where I damn well please!" A voice shouted behind us and I sighed. "What was that?" Beth asked and started walking over there, but I grabbed her arm. "Stay here, Carol, mind if I borrow your knife?" She nodded and handed it to me. "Survivors. Prisoners. Everyone just stay put." Rick explained, looking at Hershel. I walked towards where the voices were coming from as I heard Rick trying to catch up with me.

"There ain't nothing for ya here, why don't ya go back to your own sandbox?" Daryl shouted at the prisoners, his crossbow pointed at them. "What? You gonna shoot me, Gringo?" The leader of the prisoners shouted back, he had his gun pointed at T-dog, who also had his gun and was pointing it at the prisoner. As I walked in, they turned their heads towards me as I walked up to the prisoner with the gun. He slowly pointed it at me, but I kept walking. "Scar!" Daryl shouted, but I ignored him.

I ran my fingers over the barrel of the gun and over the top, the prisoner seemed confused and I quickly snatched it from his hands. Carol's knife was to his throat in a matter of seconds and his gun was handed to T-dog. "You ain't got the guts." The man scoffed and I pressed the knife closer to his throat. "You don't know shit about me, but I'm so far off the damn edge you don't know what I would or wouldn't do." I growled and he gulped. "So what were you saying about your rules?" I questioned harshly. "Umm...." He paused. "What's wrong, dead got your tongue?" I hissed and heard some snickering behind me. "Hey. Hey. Hey. Come on now, everyone just relax, there's no need for this." Rick said, finally making his way into the room.

I slowly backed up and sheathed the knife, T-dog giving me a high five as I passed him to stand away from the prisoners. "How many of you in there?" The leader said and pointed to doors that lead to the main area. "Too many for you to handle." Rick said calmly. "You guys rob a bank or something? Why don't y'all just take him to a hospital." The man questioned. "Wait, do you not know what's going on?" I asked and the man had a blank stare. "How long have you been in that cafeteria?" Rick asked.

"About 10 months." The man answered and looked over at us. "A riot broke out, ain't seen anything like it." Another prisoner spoke up, he was larger then the other towering over them. "Heard about guys going cannibal, dying, and coming back to life, crazy." Another prisoner spoke, he was the shortest of the group. "We were thinking the army or the National guard, or something would be showing up soon." The second tallest prisoner spoke. "There is no army, government, National guard, police, there is none." Rick said and the prisoners looked among themselves.

I almost felt bad for them, they had no idea what was going on and now they were being shoved into this hellhole. "For real?" A prisoner with a mustache asked. "I'm serious." Rick said. "What about my mum?" The tall one asked and the others chimed in about family members. I wiped my face again and saw more blood on the back of my hand. I looked up to see Daryl watching me, our eyes connected and a slight blush swept across my cheeks. I turned away and scolded myself mentally, but a small smile still remained on my lips.

The prisoners started to talk about phones to call their families and Daryl butted in. "You just don't get it, do ya?" The prisoners turned towards him. "There are no cell phones, computers, and almost half the population has been wiped out, maybe more." Rick explained to the prisoners. "The world has gone to hell." I added and the leader turned to me. "I don't believe you." He snapped and I rolled my eyes, of course. "See for yourself." Rick said and opened up the door that lead to the courtyard.

I stayed back as Rick lead the prisoners through, followed by T-dog and Daryl. I walked back to the main area of the prison and went over to Carol, who was watching over of Hershel. I handed her knife back and she gave me a small smile. "Scarlett, who cut Hershel's leg off." I looked at Hershel, then back at Carol. "I did, I couldn't watch him suffer and I really didn't want him to die." I said and looked over at Maggie, who was being comforted by Glenn. Carol placed a hand on my shoulder. "You know, your not a bad person, Scarlett, just a person with a protective heart and a horrible past." I gave a light chuckle and she smiled.

It was becoming late and I moved into my cold cell, and pulled out my rag and water then sat on the floor of the cell. I wiped my hands of the blood that was stained on my tan skin, my hands were still shaky, but not as much as they were before. "Need some help." I turned to see Daryl standing at the front of the cell. "If you don't mind." I said softly. He walked into the cell and placed his crossbow near the wall, then sat down in front of me. He took the rag and allowed some of the water to damp it, then ran it over my face cleaning Hershel's blood off. When he finished, he handed the rag back, but I noticed a streak of blood across his cheek. "Hold still." I said softly and ran the rag over the blood on his cheek. When I moved the rag to my lap, our faces were close to each other our noses almost touching. I brought my hand to his cheek and slowly ran the back of my hand over it, his eyes shutting. I gave a small smile, realizing how much I missed being close to Daryl, how he made everything disappear.

I moved my hand away and he opened his eyes, his blue eyes looking into my green ones. "Damn woman, look what ya doing to me." He said and stood up, grabbing his crossbow. "I don't have the faintest idea what your talking about." I smiled and he scoffed. "Yea yea." He mumbled, walking from the cell. "Bossy bitch." He muttered. "Hillbilly hoe!" I shouted at him and heard him give a low laugh. I rolled my eyes and smiled, then climbed into the bed and stared at the bunk above me.

"I'm not that bossy, am I?" I asked myself.