Chapter 35

As we walked into the tin cell, my eyes immediately went to the walker against the wall with clippers through its skull, but the blood wasn't coming from him. Andrea laid next to the door covered in blood with Michonne crouching down next to her. "I tried to stop them." Andrea said weakly, her skin a pale, sickly color. She looked over at me, but I remained behind Daryl. The room was dark, shadows in every corner of the room. "Your burning up." Michonne said, her voice shaky. Rick pulled the sleeve of her shirt down to reveal a bite mark, the skin around it torn. "Judith....Carl...the rest of them." Andrea started. She was getting weaker by the minute, it wouldn't be long from now when she would turn. "Us." Rick started. "The rest of us." She looked up at me and then back to Rick. "Are they alive?" She asked and Rick nodded to her. "Yeah, they're alive." Andrea gave a weak smile. "It's good you found them." Andrea said, looking up at Michonne. Michonne only nodded as sadness filled her eyes, tears threatening to spill out. "No one can make it alone now." She said and looked up at Daryl, who looked back at her. "I never could." Daryl shook his head and then looked at me. I watched Andrea smile and then turn to Rick. "I didn't want anyone to die." She said softly and looked down. She looked back up. "I can do it myself." She said softly and Michonne protested. "No." She said and Andrea looked up at her. "Oh I have too. While I still can." She said. "Please. I know how the safety works." She said to Rick. Rick nodded and handed his gun over to her. "Well I'm not going anywhere." Michonne said and moved closer to Andrea. Andrea looked at us all. "I tried." She whispered softly. "Yeah, you did." Rick said and stood up from where he was crouching down in front of her, and left.

Daryl followed Rick and I followed after him, Andrea watched me as I left and as I walked out Rick closed the door behind me. I leaned against the wall farthest away from the cells and Daryl crouched down next to the wall across from me. He glanced at me as my fingers ran to the ring hanging around my neck. A gunshot broke the silence and I closed my eyes at hearing the sound. I turned my head as Michonne walked past us and I followed behind, Daryl, and Rick along with the siblings.

We came to a stop and everyone was silent as Rick talked to the people of Woodbury about coming back to the prison. I leaned against the wall watching them pile into cars preparing to come back to the prison with us. Daryl moved next to me as they moved the elderly into a bus that Tyrese would drive. "You okay?" He asked and I looked at him. "These people lived under him clueless of who he really is, and now...they see who he really is. What he's done." I said softly and ran my fingers down my arm. "Now it's our job to protect them, keep them safe. What happens if we can't?"

When we arrived at the prison, the people of Woodbury left their vehicles and made their way into the prison. Rick, Daryl, Michonne, and me following after them as the rest of our group greeted them and showed them to the cell block.

"Things just got a whole lot difficult." I muttered to myself and stuffed my hands into my pockets as we walked past the rest of the group. Leona watching the people of Woodbury carefully, and keeping her distance. I sat down next to her and she sighed. "There sure is a lot of 'em, supplies are gonna roll out the door." I nodded and she turned towards me. "You should get some rest, you look like hell." I chuckled and nudged her shoulder. "As should you, sister." She wrapped her arm around the back of my neck and pulled me closer, placing a light kiss against the side of my head. "Things are gonna change around here, for better and for worse." She said and I looked at her. "Hopefully more better than worse." We looked around at the people of Woodbury separating into cells and calling this place home.

Things are really going to change.