Chapter 20

Daryl went with Rick and Glenn to clear the next cell block for the prisoners, while I stayed behind. Something was bothering me from yesterday, so I decided to help out Lori and Carol. I joined Lori washing clothes as she smiled as I started folding clothes. "Surprised your not out helping the men, something wrong?" She asked sweetly. "Nah, just don't feel like myself." I mumbled and she stopped what she was doing. "What happened?" I looked at her and folded another piece of clothing. "Nothing happened." I said and looked at her. She pursed her lips and washed a once white shirt. "Now that's bullshit and you know it." I gave a small chuckle and folded a pair of old, ragged jeans. "It was just a memory, Lori, nothing out of the ordinary." She rolled her eyes and went back to work. "It's always hard with you, one moment you open up and the other you hide yourself." She stated and I folded a shirt, then moved it to the side. "The real me is not the most pleasant person." I mumbled and started making a new stack.

"You had your reasons." Lori said, still working. I hesitated, but then faced her. "Ask me, any question, I'll give you a answer." I said as Carol walked over. "What are we doing?" Carol asked and I told her. "Will you answer truthfully?" I nodded and she sat down on the bench behind me. "Alright, how many sister did you have?" I counted each one in my head and sat down next to her. "24." I said simply. "Why that many?" Lori asked and sat down next to me. "Ryan would either shoot them or I would free them." I said and tied my hair back with a rubber band, I pulled from the pocket of my jeans. "Who does the ring belong to?" Lori asked. I touched the ring hanging around my neck and smiled. "May, one of my sisters." Carol and Lori smiled and moved closer. "So what about the whole "can't have kids" things, thought anymore on it?" Lori asked. I sighed and pulled one of my legs to my chest. "When I was still in Ryan's hellhole, I hoped that one day I would have all that family crap. A daughter, a husband, a normal life, but people like me don't get happily ever afters. I can't have kids, half of the men here are taken or afraid of me, and we're in the middle of the apocalypse." I stated and suddenly their faces had giant smiles on them. "What?" Lori just looked the other way and Carol just smiled. "There is one guy that isn't afraid of you or taken." I smiled and rolled my eyes. "He's grumpy, but can be kind, loves the outdoors and likes to keep to himself." I stood up and started folding clothes against as they came up behind me. "Rides a loud ass motorcycle and has a bad attitude, but he's really a sweetheart." Carol said sweetly. "Oh and don't forget the fact that his favorite weapon is a crossbow." Lori said softly. I chuckled and started folding more. "Oh just give him a chance." Lori pleaded. "I did." I said simply and they seemed confused, I walked away with a pile of clothes and placed them in the cell blocks people were staying in.

"Wait, you dated Daryl?" Carol asked curiously. "For at least 6 months." They were shocked and Carol grabbed my shoulders, spinning me around. "What happened between you two?" I pulled away and started placing clothes in the cells again. "I happened, I got upset, snapped back." I said, placing a pair of jeans in Beth's cell. "He's a big boy, I'm sure he's over it." Lori said and came up beside me. "I guess." I shrugged and placed down more clothes. "Do you feel lost without him? Feel incomplete?" Lori asked sweetly. I glanced at her and then set down a pair of T-dog's clothes. "You gonna tell the truth?" Carol questioned and I sighed, giving Lori a small nod. "You still have feelings for him?" I gave a light chuckle and walked back over to where we were washing clothes. "Of course, he was the first person not to look at me and automatically assume "freak", I just felt understood." I pushed a strand of loose hair behind my ear. I looked up and saw a new figure, and gave a sigh.

Daryl was standing a few inches away and had probably heard the whole thing. "And now I'm going to be in my cell." I mumbled to Carol and Lori, who were behind me. They chuckled as I walked past them to my cell, and rolled my eyes.

I was lying on my bed looking at the bunk above me, when someone stepped in my cell. I bent my head down and saw Maggie. "Mind if I join you?" I sat up and moved over some allowing her to climb in next to me. "You okay?" I asked and she turned to face me. "I'm worried. What about you?" I sighed and looked at the bunk above me. "I'm afraid." I turned to look at her and she seemed confused. "No questions please."

"Wasn't gonna ask any."

We laid in silence, listening to our breathing and heartbeats. "Maggie?"

"Yes, Scar."

"Are you afraid of me?"
She looked at me with a smile. "No, I'm not afraid of you, you're like a sister to me." I sighed and looked up at the bunk above. "I'm dangerous, Maggie."

"How?"

"I hurt the people closest to me, and any day I could just snap."

"But you're around friends, we'll help."

"I'm not sure you can." Maggie sat up and looked at me. "Trust us, Scar." I chuckled and looked at her. "Don't let me hurt anyone, Mag." I said softly and she nodded and laid back down next to me. "Don't worry Scar, you'll be okay." I smiled and listened to my ongoing heartbeat.

Maggie left after a while to check on Hershel while I stayed in my bed, the cold night nipping at my skin. I tried to curl up to warm my body, but it didn't help so I sat up. I tried to pull my cover up, but my hands were shaking from the cold. "You need warmer clothes."

Smack.

I smacked my head on the bottom of the top bunk and groaned. I rubbed the back of my head as Daryl walked over and helped me out of the bunk. I stumbled and fell into him, grabbed ahold of his leather jacket to become stable. When I looked up, his bright blue eyes were staring down at me and my heart flipped. "Hi." I said softly and he brought his hand up to move a strand of hair behind my ear. I let go of my hold on his jacket and moved over to my bag, trying to find a jacket. "We'll have to find ya some better clothes." I looked at him and nodded, all my clothes were meant for warm weather and wouldn't provide warmth during this weather. I pulled out my jacket and put it on to warm me up. "How did clearing the cell block go?" Daryl sighed and sat down on my bunk. "Lost three of the prisoners." I moved to sit next to him. "What happened?" He ran his hand through his hair and turned to me. "Big Tiny got scratched, Tomas killed him, then Rick killed Tomas and the other." I bit my lip and pulled a leg to my chest. "I knew I didn't trust Tomas." I said and placed my lips to my knee. "What's up with ya?" He asked as softly as he could. I sighed and looked at him, his blue eyes looking back. "I think I just asked Maggie to kill me if I hurt someone." I said simply. I got up and walked over to my bag, slinging it over my shoulder. "I got first watch." I said softly and he nodded, as I walked out of the cell I pulled my jacket closer.

As I passed by, I glanced at Hershel and saw Beth and Maggie watching me. I looked at Maggie and she gave me a small smile before turning back to her dad. "Tomorrow's a new day." I mumbled and walked towards the courtyard.