Chapter 34

Everyone was busy getting ready for the attack that was coming soon. Leona, Glenn, and Michonne went out to check on the wires, Rick and Carl were talking and from my view Carl looked pissed. Maggie, Hershel, and Beth were packing bags and moving them to the cars, and Daryl was about to load up his motorcycle. I had hidden mine earlier this morning, in the woods where it wouldn't be spotted. Daryl had told me and Carol about his brother and what had happened. Merle had taken down eight of the Governor's men before he was shot in the chest and Daryl found him as a walker, and had killed him.

I walked over to where he was standing next to the bike. "Want some help?" I said softly and he nodded. I used the planks of wood that sat in the bed of the pickup as a ramp and helped him move the bike into the back. Carol walked over as we finished and Daryl leaned against the pickup. "You know...Merle never did nothing like that his whole life." He looked up at me and Carol. "He gave us a chance." Carol said softly and Daryl nodded. "He was brave for standing up against the Governor, no one else would have done that." I said softly. He nodded and turned back towards the bike, making sure it was stable. I headed back inside as Leona, Glenn, and Michonne came back. Carl stomped from the cell block furious as Rick walked over, running a hand through his hair. "I've never seen him this mad." Glenn said to Rick. "Even with Lori. He just shut down." Rick looked up at Glenn. "He's still a kid. It's easy to forget that." He walked away and I threw my bow over my shoulder. Once things were packed up the prison was empty, we had spilt off into our groups and got ready. Me, Leona, Maggie, and Glenn were positioned outside while Daryl, Michonne, Carol, and Rick waited in the tombs with smoke bombs. Hershel, Beth, Carl, and Judith were in the woods hiding away from the prison.

Me and Leona were in the guard tower closest to the prison, waiting. We were hiding from sight when I heard vehicles approaching and I glanced to where Maggie and Glenn were hiding. A loud bang then sounded followed by an explosion. "That's gotta be one of the guard towers near the front." Leona whispered. The sound of an automatic rifle firing sounded through the prison, but it wasn't close. "Must have hit the wire." I whispered and Leona gave a breathy chuckle. "Bastards." It died down after a while, but I heard another explosion and moved Leona down the stairs of the guard tower. I heard the automatic rifle again, probably taking out some of the walkers that had wandered into the courtyard. Some of them must had made it pass the wire because I heard car engines coming closer and Leona sighed.

I heard yelling and shouting coming from near the prison. I slowly went up the stairs, Leona following behind me, and looked out. The fence was knocked down and Martinez led the people into the cell block. I saw the Governor following behind them at a steady pace and rolled my eyes. I looked over at Maggie and Glenn, who were still hiding, and then my eyes trailed to the automatic rifle sitting on the back of a truck. I turned to Leona and she grinned evilly.

I slowly cracked the door and looked out, making sure the area was clear. When I saw it was, Leona creeped out and quickly made her way to the truck. She hopped up on the truck and began to unload the ammo from the rifle. I slipped out and made my way into a shadowed area of the prison as she hopped down and bolted for the grass. I could see Maggie glaring at me and I blew her a kiss. She rolled her eyes and focused back on the prison. Suddenly, screams and gunfire came from the prison and people ran out. Maggie, Glenn, and I opened fire at their feet as they ran towards the cars. We didn't want to hurt them if we could help it, however the Governor was an exception.

"Hit it!" Martinez shouted to a man that climbed up and tried to fire the automatic rifle. "The ammo's gone!" The man shouted back and tried to hop down. My pistol was quickly pointed straight at him and I aimed it lower, I fired and hit the man in the leg. Martinez ran over to help and tried to pinpoint me, but I hid in the shadow. They soon piled into the cars and quickly drove off. I came out of the shadows and walked over to Leona, grabbing the ammo that was slung over her shoulder. We made our way back to the prison, Maggie telling us how irresponsible and crazy we are.