Chapter 22

I was focused, Ryan's head my target. I pulled back the string on my bow and was waiting. "Scarlett!" I dropped my bow and looked down at Diana, who has her hands on her hips. "Come on down." I rolled my eyes and focused again. "Since when did younglings tell me what to do?" I hissed and she scoffed. "Fine, get in trouble." I continued to focus my shot. "That's exactly what I plan to do." I mumbled, but she still heard me. "I don't understand you, Scar, we aren't even your kin and you put yourself through all this trouble to save us." I ignored her and continued to try and get a clear shot. "Why?" I dropped my bow and looked at her. "I can't watch anymore people die, if I can do something about it." I said simply and aimed again. I released and heard a cry of pain, then dropped from the tree and hid my bow. "So I'll do whatever I can, to save all of you." I said and walked past her. I had missed, but on purpose. Ryan's shoulder had an arrow sticking out of it and I smiled when I walked up.

Maggie's view:

I held the small infant in my arms and slowly rocked her back and forth. "She's a healthy little thing, but we'll need to get some formula, if she's gonna survive." I nodded and handed the infant to Beth as Glenn came running up. "She's gone...Scarlett..she left." He said coming over to the rest of the group. "Why would she just leave?" I asked as Daryl walked over. "We were talking last night, she seemed different. She seemed angry, said she didn't belong here." I looked at Daryl. "She can't be far, right?" He shrugged and I turned back to Glenn. "Oh come on, we have to go—." We heard a door open and Scarlett walked in, she was bloody and tossed some squirrels to me, which I caught then handed to Daryl. She walked away to her cell and I was about to follow her, when someone grabbed my arm. "Give her space." I looked back at Scarlett and then followed Daryl to his bike, so we could make a run for formula. Suddenly, Rick got up and took his weapon to the door that Scarlett had kept him from before. "Rick!" I shouted, but kept walking. I could see Scarlett out of the corner of my eye watching him. "Beth." My sister walked over, the infant still in here hands. "Keep an eye on Carl, please." She nodded and then smiled down at the baby as we rode off.

"They're both gonna kill each other." I said and started filling my bag with supplies. "They'll be fine." Daryl grumbled, mostly annoyed at my rambling, but I didn't care. "How can you say that? Rick has gone silent, we have two prisoners in our group, and Scarlett, hell, she's changing, becoming angrier." Daryl sighed and leaned on the top of a row, looking at me. "Just quit your whining, they'll be fine." He growled and went back to work, I rolled my eyes and found baby formula. "Aren't you worried about them?" I asked softly to Daryl. "What's it to ya if I am?!?" He hissed. He was so difficult, so stubborn. The only person that ever could get through to him was....Scarlett. I looked back at Daryl and smiled. "You care about her, don't you?" He ignored me and continued searching for food. "Oh come on, there's nothing wrong with it." I said and grabbed more formula. "Don't need no woman." He growled. I scoffed and grabbed some food. "Yea whatever, all men say that and then the next day, they got a woman." I said and walked towards a rack of clothes. I grabbed some of the long sleeve shirts and jackets, then stuffed them in my bag. "So she keep pushing you away or do you push her away?" He muttered something under his breath that I didn't catch and kept moving.

"She told me she was dangerous." I mumbled. I looked at Daryl, who finally looked at me. "She's not okay, Daryl." I said and turned back towards the clothes. "I'm afraid she's gonna hurt herself and that I won't be able to help her. Honestly though, I'm surprised she didn't break sooner I mean after everything that has happened to her." I said and zipped up my bag. "She's a badass, she'll get through it." I chuckled at Daryl's comment and smiled. "I hope." I turned back to him as he slung his crossbow over his shoulder. "Should head back." He said as he passed me and I followed behind him.

When we pulled up we heard shouting and immediately jumped off the bike. "Scarlett!" Beth shouted as we got closer. "Go ahead, kill me Rick!" Scarlett shouted. "Stop this foolishness!" Hershel commanded, but the shouting continued. "Get the hell out of my way!" Rick's broken shout echoed. We rushed over to see Scarlett grab Rick by his shirt and pull him to her. "You gotta stop Rick, you can't be running around like an idiot, trying to get revenge on every single walker, your gonna get your ass killed." She hissed, but her words weren't as harsh. "You still have everything, and your wasting it on pathetic walkers." She released him and stepped back as moaning came from the opened doors of cell block C. A walker turned around the corner and started heading for the group, who held up their weapons. Scarlett raised up her hand though, making them all lower their weapons. She pulled out a pistol and looked at Rick. "Is going after this thing worth losing everything you love?" She shot the pistol, her gaze still on Rick, and the bullet went through the walkers head. "You should be with them, because one day...they'll be gone." She walked through the cell block C doors, shutting them behind her.

Beth turned to me and Daryl and walked over. "Did you find anything?" I nodded and handed her my bag. "What happened between Rick and Scarlett?" I asked and she ran her hand through her blonde hair. "Scarlett knew that Rick was letting out some of his anger, but she dragged him out of there knowing that he probably wouldn't be able to handle all of them and then that happened. It was peaceful for about an hour." She said before she walked away. I sighed and walked over to Carl, who was holding the small infant. "You should go get some rest, okay?" He nodded and handed the infant over to me. I looked down at her sweet face. "Oh darling, what are we gonna do about them?" I cooed.