Chapter 42

Japan landed on solid ground with a loud thump, landing right on his back. He pushed himself up with a small grunt, looking at the room around him. It was small, square, with the only exit covered with large pieces of rubble. The castle gave an all mighty shake and Japan could hear the sound of even more rubble falling from above. This was definitely not good.

"No no no....what can I do!?" He asked, beginning to pace nervously. "...I don't even know where I am...aah...a-ah..." He didn't have any power left to teleport. Just to add to the panic he could feel growing inside of him. "I can't teleport out, I used what I could to get everyone else out..." He stopped, turning to the south wall of the room. "What...what am I...going to...." He was growing more and more panicked.

Can't..can't breathe...no way out..no way out.... These thoughts kept running through the nation's head as his breathing grew more and more fast. No way out...

"Japan!!"

Japan jumped, looking up to the hole he had fallen down. Who had called out his name? And why did they sound familiar?

Someone fell down, landing gracefully on their feet. It was the same arcana from before. Back in the maze. He turned to face Japan, tilting his head very slightly.

"Japan what--" The arcana cut himself off as he saw Japan's face, which was steadily growing paler by the minute. "...Japan?" Japan didn't answer, he just wheezed in response. "Oh no, not another attack." He walked over to the nation, calmly and slowly while holding up his hands.

"I want you to listen to me." The arcana said. "This is in your safe space, right here. No one can touch you, you can not be harmed." He gently put a hand on Japan's shoulder, giving him a reassuring smile. "Let your mind focus on this moment. Focus on me." Japan looked up, his breathing seeming to ease up until there was a giant shake and crash from above. "Breathe with me, breathe with me. In..." The arcana quickly said, taking in one deep breathe and motioning for Japan to do the same. "Out..in..out..." Japan followed his words, taking several, slow deep breaths. "Yes that's it. I will not let anything harm you.

"Everything will be all right."

"....Ev...e-ev.....Everything....Will be....A-all right?" Japan repeated shakily. The arcana nodded, removing his hand from the nation's shoulder.

"Everything will be all right." He said. "Yes, that's it. We're going to get out of here, I know the way." Japan, now fully calmed down, couldn't help but be a bit suspicious of him. It must've showed, since the arcana narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. "Japan, please. Do not let my dream status deter you. You must trust me. Trust me to help you."

"....Hai." Japan finally said. "Lead the way." The arcana nodded and turned to the wall of rubble. Japan followed him as he walked closer to the wall, examining rubble up and down. "Why....are you helping me?"

"Because you deserve to be protected." The arcana explained, looking over his shoulder at the country. Japan looked surprised for a minute before nodding and smiling.

"Thank you." He said, grateful. The arcana nodded and turned back to the wall, using a white-hot blast to break apart the wall. There's that feeling again.... He thought as the smoke began to slowly clear. We, we must have met him before.

They went onwards, going through several rooms of twisted mazes and black walls. Each room seemed to look more and more familiar as they went through.

"These pathways feel familiar to me." Japan commented as they reached the third maze of a room. The arcana nodded, looking up at the ceiling. It seemed higher than before, if that could even be possible.