The Mission

??? POV

CRASH!!
     I kicked down yet another robot. I felt bad for the guards, but really not enough to stop kicking over the top-heavy hunks-of-junk. I was on a mission. I could be running through bullet hell and it wouldn't be able to stop me.

     "Good job, Finch-5!" My friend and colleague, Seth Frasey, echoed over my radio. "Sneaking into the Doctor's facility by mail! Why didn't I think of that?"

     "Well, Squirrel-3," I said, using his code name. "when you need something done, security systems are a cakewalk to pass through!"

     "I guess so..." Seth said. As the Guardian of Logic, He's never been fond of breaking in and wrecking stuff, which is why he prefers to stay home and work on new technology. I don't mind. He's not getting in my way and if he does, I can just shut the radio off.

     "This had better be worth it!" Jackson Schwartz's low, husky voice adopted an authoritative tone. His code name is Raccoon-1. "What exactly are we fighting for here?" he asked.

     "We're fighting for Project Wind." I said.

     "Right. And what is Project Wind?"

     "Project Wind is the Doctor utilizing the infinite life energy of a Guardian to fuel all of his work. If we can cut him off from the power supply, hopefully saving the Guardian in the process, it'll be a huge hit to his resources!"

     "How do you know that?"

     "I worked for the Doc, remember? I was snooping around one day in the energy room with Squirrel-3's aura machine-"

     "You took my Life Energy Finder?!"

     "-and was shocked to find a boy in there. Some more snooping revealed that he was intentionally hurting the poor guy. Does that answer your questions, Mr. Interrogator?"

     "Don't call me that. I hate that nickname and you know it." Jackson is my leader, but he's more of a big idea person. Plus, he's all talk. I know I can basically do whatever I want.

     "What's an Interrogator?" A younger voice asked. I knew her as the seven year old Lily, known on missions as Dog-2. We don't know her real last name. Jackson, Seth and I saved her years ago on a trip to Japan. She's the Guardian of Emotion and can feel and slightly inhibit emotions around her. If there's a huge fight about to break out among teammates, Lily is sent in to try and calm the combatants down.

     "Google it." I replied.

     "Okay!"

     I arrived at the door and was about to enter the transit room when a keypad detached itself from the wall. "What?! Since when do I need a password?!"

     "You didn't need a password?" Seth asked.

     "Never before! Either he's getting smarter or...I don't even want to consider the other option. Us getting stupider is just terrifying. Luckily, we can still get in. Just need a bit of elbow grease..." I started to kick against the wall, preparing to do a Spin Attack.

      "Wait!" Seth shouted.

     "What?"

     "Try 'Open Sesame'."

     I glared at him through the radio, even though he couldn't see it. "It's not..." I paused. I wouldn't put something that idiotic past him. He'd done all sorts of stupid things throughout the years. "I swear to God if it's Open Sesame..." The door clicked open the second I was done typing it in. "He gets both smarter and stupider every single time I break in to confront him." I said, stepping into the transit. I pressed the button that would take me to the energy sector of his facility. The door closed as the train-like vehicle started speeding along the rails. I collapsed against the cold leather seats lining the walls.

     "You okay?" Seth asked.

     "Yeah." I said, pushing myself up.

     "Lightheaded again?"

     "Yeah."

     He was silent for a few minutes. He didn't reply until the transit beeped, signaling that I had reached my destination. "Don't over exert yourself. This is a really dangerous place to pass out. Chances are a million to one that the person who finds you is friendly. I don't want you to get hurt."

     I sighed the heat out of my cheeks. "Thanks...um... Let's keep this professional, shall we?"