A Walk Through The City

Phantom's POV

I sighed in relief as I stepped out into the night drizzle. I pulled up my hood and walked into the sidewalk. The streets were practically dead this time of night. Guardian Relations HQ was located in a small Virginian city not far from Washington D. C. It was big enough, however, to have lots of crime. It was a rough city, where one almost always had to have some sort of self defense or buddy system in place. Especially if that someone was unfortunate enough to be out at this late hour. I would probably be fine, though, if I stuck to the well-lit roads. Warm lights from the shops rammed against cold, institutional-looking streetlights. The city in itself is a spectacle to behold.

     As I passed the fifth gas station, the cold breeze blew my hood back. I didn't bother putting it back up. Surely they wouldn't be out here.

     "Hey, you!"

     Of course they'd be out here. "Hey, guys." I said, turning. I was greeted by a bunch of snarling criminals. "Look, I really don't wanna fight..." They still closed in. "Uh, well, I guess you do, so I guess we're fighting."

     I tried not to use my magic, but in terms of physical strength, I was a ten-year-old in a crowd of angry 20-or-so-year-olds. I used all of my means of self-defense. In the end, it was a cake-walk of a battle. I started to walk away as they retreated into the shadows. The scream of a siren got closer and pulled up near me.

     "Stop! You're under arrest!" An officer yelled. I tore off into the alleys, ducking and scaling and weaving as needed. I could tell that they weren't falling behind no matter how unpredictable my path was. The police don't like it when we use magic against humans, and guess what I was caught using? My only means of defense.

     I took a sharp right and ran straight into a black girl with dark eyes and dark French braids. "Woah, easy there!" She said. "What's your name?" She asked. "I'm Elli!"

     "Phantom, I, uh, I really need to go!"

     Elli seemed shocked. "What's the rush?" She heard the police yelling in the alley behind me. "You're right. You need to get outta here. I know! I'll tell them that you're a good guy! Then, they'll have to stop!" I shook my head, but in the end, I ran off. "Bye, Phantom! See you soon!" She yelled and turned to face the authorities.

     I ran into the main drag, full of people. I began to blend with the crowd, but someone little grabbed my hand. "What...?" I looked at the other child. She looked at me from under her hood. "Lily?" I hugged her to my chest. "I'm really glad you're here, you sly dog!"

     "We're not in the clear yet! Let's hurry home!" We walked in silence. "Did you see anything cool?" She asked.

      "I sorta met a nice girl named Elli, if that matters at all."

     "That is cool!" She said. "You could use some friends besides your sister!"

     "Yeah." I said, looking up at the quiet night sky. "Yeah." With that, we disappeared into the base.