Loud Music and Sensitive Ears

A/N:
Released on February 14, 2017

Edited on September 9, 2018

Word Count: 1694

-----

Chapter 6: Loud Music and Sensitive Ears

At Ivie's house, Vanessa and Selynn listen to her complain about her mom. Selynn responds by saying, "At least your mom didn't cry all over you."

"Again?" Ivie queries, thinking of how sensitive their mom is.

With a short laugh Vanessa says, "Yeah, she cried on Selynn this time. She said we're growing up too fast."

Selynn just rolls her eyes. "I'd say not fast enough." They all laugh at that.

"I think I'd prefer that to the talks I have with my mom." Ivie tells them with an eye roll.

As the girls finish getting ready, Selynn decides to tell them about this weird dream she had last night.

"Let's hear it." Ivie replies when it's mentioned. Since they still have some time before the party, the girls sit down to listen.

"Well, it started out with me and Vanessa at the party, just dancing and having a good time." Ivie smiles as her friend continues talking.

"Vanessa said she needed a soda so she left to get one." Selynn says with worry tinting her tone.

"I was wondering if you, Ivie, were safe. Then I got this awful feeling that something bad was going to happen." Selynn concludes telling them her dream.

"So what happened next?" Vanessa asks her sister.

"I don't know." She answers with a shrug. "That's when I woke up."

The girls sit in silence until Ivie speaks up a minute or so later. "See, that's why it's called a dream. Nothing bad is going to happen at my party. We're going to have so much fun!" She says with real enthusiasm.

Vanessa and Selynn nod, already beginning to forget about the weird dream.

~*~

Later at the party, Ivie's dancing with her best friends when she spots her sister. "I see Lena! I'm going to go talk to her." Vanessa and Selynn nod without missing a beat. She envies their awesome dancing skills, since she isn't the best at that.

"Hey, Lena!" Ivie calls to her younger sister when she gets within hearing range, seeing her dancing with her best friend. Lena doesn't notice her sister approaching, but Jerica does, so she feels obligated to point it out.

"What is it?" Lena asks her best friend, trying hard to hear over the music. It's louder than it reasonably should be, on the verge of bursting eardrums.

"I think your sister is trying to talk to you!" Jerica shouts, right in her ear. She turns around to see Ivie a few feet away.

"Hey! Sorry, the music is too loud!" Lena apologizes to her sister, wanting to make sure that Ivie didn't think she was avoiding her when it was because she couldn't hear her.

"Oh, that's okay. I'm quiet anyway." Ivie says in a normal tone, definitely not loud enough to be heard over the pounding bass.

"What?" Lena comes closer and yells in her ear. "Here, I'll go ask the DJ to turn it down just a little bit!" She walks off before waiting for a response.

Ivie sighs and mumbles to herself, thinking of how her little sister never listens to her anymore. She shoves her way through the crowd, back to her best friends.