In Your Wildest Dreams

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Date: 3-10-17

These "wild dreams" are completely different from the ones in the song, "Wildest Dreams" by Taylor Swift, just so you know :P

Now on to the story!

----------------------------------------

Chapter 48: In Your Wildest Dreams

"Adrian! Wake up!" Monique says as she shakes his shoulder. Lucas moves over to Monique but stops a few feet away. He's unsure of what to do.

Lucas hears a thump and looks around startled. Lucas sees Ivie laying on the ground unconscious.

Another thump follows the first, then another, then another. Is that...?

Lucas realizes he heard when Adrian's heart stopped. When did he learn to do that?

Lucas listens to the thumps and figures the sound is coming from near Monique and Adrian. Is it Monique's heart?

"Adrian?" Monique questions. The blood has stopped flowing and Monique could swear she saw his mouth twitch.

Monique scrambles back when Adrian's trademark smirk appears on his face. This makes Lucas realize the thumping was a restarting heart. Adrian's heart.

"Adrian! How could you?" Monique shouts at her brother. Adrian flinches when he sits up, but otherwise he feels fine.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to die on you." Adrian tells Monique sarcastically.

"You were faking! Weren't you?" Monique demands to know, standing and crossing her arms.

"Maybe." Adrian says with a shrug.

Lucas can't believe it. "No, I heard your heart stop." Lucas tells Adrian in disbelief.

Adrian frowns at that. "You shouldn't be able to do that until you've shifted."

"Well, I did." Lucas answers, wondering if Adrian thinks he's lying. "You shouldn't be able to stop your heart." Lucas says with narrowed eyes.

Monique answers before Adrian can. "Werewolves can stop their hearts. When they turn their hearts stop until the transformation is complete."

At Lucas' worried expression Monique goes on. "It doesn't hurt. It's just how it is."

Then Monique turns to Adrian with a glare. "He must've started the shift to stop his heart, then stopped the shift."

"You're a smart one, you know that Monique?" Adrian comments as he stands on shaky legs.

"Although vine girl did hit my left lung, which really hurt." Adrian adds.

Lucas remembers when Adrian fell he was gasping for air. Darn sneaky wolf.

Lucas grips his hands into fists, suddenly furious that Adrian "died."

Adrian goes over to Ivie on seemingly steady legs while Lucas stares with golden eyes after him.

"Lucas." Monique says quietly. She puts her hand on Lucas' shoulder. "Lucas, calm down. This is just another one of his elaborate plans to fix everything."

Monique tries to explain her brother's actions, but Lucas doesn't care about that. He forces himself to calm down. His eyes dull down to normal and his claws stay hidden away.

"How can I hear heartbeats now?" Lucas asks Monique to distract himself.

"It's a werewolf thing, but you shouldn't be able to until you shift. You're advancing quickly with your supersenses." Monique says with a shrug, as if to say, "I don't really know."