Do What You Have To

Date: 3-7-17

Chapter 42: Do What You Have To

"Are you sure you're okay? You were coughing like you were choking up a lung." Monique says worriedly to Adrian when he exits the bathroom.

"I said I'm fine." Adrian replies smoothly, as if nothing happened.

"It was John, wasn't it?" Monique mutters so only Adrian hears. He turns to look at her with a flair of anger in his eyes.

"I believe so." Adrian comments darkly. "And you know I'm always right." Adrian adds to lighten up the mood.

Adrian goes back to sit between John and Evie. "Are you okay?" Evie asks as soon as Adrian sits.

Adrian turns to her with a bright smile. "Yeah, it just went down the wrong pipe in my throat. No big deal."

John scowls at Adrian's back. Of course he's lying to try and protect himself. John smiled at the thought that Adrian doesn't know it's too late for that.

But John obviously doesn't know that Adrian has been watching John, just like John has been watching Adrian.

It had finally clicked in John's head that this was the guy from across the street. He realized this when he met Monique, because Jerica mentioned her before. Jerica also said the guy's name starts with an A.

So the description fits with Adrian and Monique. That's why John tried to test them.

Adrian failed the test, but John is unsure about Monique. Since John never saw her drink the soda containing wolfsbane, he will have to find some other way to test Monique.

Adrian hears Evie's heartbeat pick up a little when she asks if he's okay. Adrian concludes that she must've been in on the plan to poison him too.

Some people are just so rude. Adrian notices too late that Evie was talking to him. But she's already walked away. Oh well. Hopefully she said nothing important.

Now Adrian starts thinking of a plan to expose John and his sisters. That is, if those really are his sisters and they are Spellcasters too.

Adrian could grab a random person and try to kill them, purposefully making sure John sees so he will use magic to stop Adrian. But that plan would definitely anger John and make him think Adrian is the bad guy.

Adrian doesn't need the second most powerful Spellcaster angry with him, so he needs to find a better way. But then again, usually Adrian does what he has to. Will Adrian have to anger John to get what he wants?

Adrian swivels a bit on his stool, trying to come up with something that doesn't involve violence. It's harder than it sounds. Most of Adrian's plans include violence, and that's a hard habit for him to break.

But Adrian really could use some backup in case he needs some professional (well, mostly) magic help to deal with Ivie. Lena and Jerica are in no way practiced enough to be of any help to Adrian.

So Adrian decides that if it's at all possible, he will get John to help him somehow. How else is he supposed to fix Ivie and find out who his stalker is?

Adrian finally figures out his plan, so he turns to John with an obviously fake smile. Adrian isn't trying to make it look real because he wants John to feel uncomfortable. Adrian will make everything go his way, just like usual.

"Johnathon." Adrian says in an overly friendly way.

John immediately becomes suspicious. He tried to hide it, but feels like his face has already betrayed how he feels. "How do you know my real name? No one calls me that."

Adrian hears John's heartbeat quicken slightly. So John lied when he said no on calls him Johnathon. But that's not really relevant right now.

"Because I know who you are. That's why I came here." Adrian announced while lowering his voice so only John can hear.

Adrian lied to John, but Adrian knows Spellcasters can't hear heartbeats to determine if someone's lying.

Adrian came here with Monique because they had to run from their stalker again. Monique chose this place because it seemed quiet and out of the way. It turns out the "quiet" isn't so quiet anymore. Just their luck.

Adrian's words play back in John's head, making him feel numb from the inside out. John's parents warned him that people might try to find their family to use them, or more accurately, their power.

But John's parents also said John and his sisters are safe because their parents keep away from them most of the time. This way no one can find John using his parents.

John narrows his eyes at Adrian to show no fear, but Adrian can hear his heart pumping faster. John is afraid now.

"Why would you come here for me?" John asks, trying to play dumb.

Adrian leans forward an inch, causing John to jerk away. John barely catches himself from falling off his stool. Shoot. Now John can bet that Adrian knows he's afraid.

"Because you're a Spellcaster. One of the best. And I wanted to talk to you." Adrian says calmly while leaning away from John. Adrian knows it's not in his best interest to scare John, but it's always fun to.

John's gaze shifts around quickly to assess who's in hearing range of them. No one is close enough to hear their actually words because John and Adrian lowered their voices.

But John immediately notices the real danger. The other werewolves in the room.

Mason is sitting a few seats down the bar talking with Monique. Lucas is on the dance floor with Lena. John catches a glimpse of Lucas' face and sees he looks a little distracted. Does that mean he's listening?

"I don't know what you're talking about." John goes for playing dumb again. He doesn't know what else to do. His parents said to use a protective spell then run if something like this ever happened.

But John believes that Lucas and Mason might try to stop him from leaving if he takes out Adrian. Take out as in disable, not kill. John isn't like that. He doesn't kill off his enemies. Not that John has any enemies that he knows of, but still. John will do what he has to.

-------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Sorry if that was a bad stopping point...but the chapter was over 2000 words so I had to split it in half.

And I just wanted to give a big shout out and thank you to The_Fallout_Fellas for commenting on all of the chapters and voting :)

She's the only one who comments so I'm really grateful for that!

Anyone else want to comment? Lol. I'd like to know what everyone thinks about my story.

Thanks again to my loyal follower The_Fallout_Fellas