Wolf Talk

Date: 2-22-17

Chapter 25: Wolf Talk

The next day is Friday, and Lucas stops to wonder if he's going to get a break from crazy this weekend. He really doubts it.

Lucas slept in late, so when he goes into the kitchen he eats lunch. Lucas can hear Jerica in her room when he concentrates.

Lucas makes sure to slam the refrigerator door loudly to see if Jerica would come see what Lucas is making.

But when Jerica doesn't come out of her room, Lucas surmises that she's still angry about the fight she had with Lena. Lucas feels bad about it all, but there's nothing he can do about it.

Lucas finds himself wondering about Adrian. Lucas wished he had Adrian's number to text him. They need to talk, but Lucas doesn't know how to get a hold of Adrian, except going to his house. But that might not be Adrian's house.

Lucas decides to text Lena and ask her how Ivie is.

"She's fine. Acting like her regular self." Lena responds almost immediately.

"What about you? Anything weird going on?" Lucas asks Lena in concern.

"Not anything out of the ordinary. Just tired." Lena answers back.

Lucas wants to reassure Lena, so he texts back a promise he doesn't know if he can keep. "I'll talk to Adrian today or tonight and get some answers. Okay?"

"Okay." Lena texts. Lucas wishes he's with Lena now so he can look into her eyes and see what she really thinks.

It's been almost two weeks since the full moon, and Lucas can see that a lot of things have changed since then.

Lucas and Mason are werewolves. Ivie turns into a crazy child like person at night and she doesn't ever remember it. Jerica can shock people with one touch. They've met an Alpha and the Alpha's sister, who's not a werewolf but a Shadowhunter.

And Lucas thinks that he may be falling for his sister's best friend.

~*~

Lucas goes in a walk to clear his head, without telling anyone that he's leaving. If Lucas' siblings cared where he was then they would've come and talked while he was eating lunch.

Lucas hurries past Lena and Ivie's house so that if they saw him, they wouldn't think he was spying. Although Lucas did want to stop and stare at the house, wondering what's happening inside.

Lucas doesn't listen in to the residents of the house because it's an invasion of privacy. Lucas wouldn't want someone listening in to his conversations.

Lucas passes by Vanessa and Selynn's house and wonders how easy it is for them because they're out of the loop.

Then Lucas goes down a few more streets on autopilot and comes to a stop when he realizes where he is. Lucas is in John's neighborhood, where someone new has just moved in.

Someone that could be around Lucas and Mason's age and who could have a sister.

Lucas has been to John's house before, so he knows which house has been for sale for the last few months.

The house looks just like all of the others besides the mailbox. Everyone in this neighborhood has their last names on their mailbox. Like John's mailbox says Caster.

There's no last name plaque on the mailbox. Even if there was, Lucas still wouldn't know if it's Adrian's house because Adrian never told Lucas his last name. And neither did Monique.

Lucas stops across the street from the house, wondering if he should go knock on the door. Lucas needs some answers, and he knows Adrian has them.

But Lucas doesn't have to decide because the front door opens and out walks Monique. Today she's wearing a different summer dress, this one colored red with black dots.

Monique steps onto the sidewalk barefoot, even though with the sun this high and shining the concrete is probably burning hot.

"Hey Lucas." Monique calls out in a friendly tone.

"How did you know I was out here?" Lucas asks immediately, putting a hand up to shield his eyes. Lucas surprises himself by thinking he'd prefer it was nighttime.

Lucas wasn't a night person before, always sitting out in the backyard just staring off into space. Lucas used to love the woods and being outside all the time, but he liked to be inside when it got dark. Then he would hole up in his room. That's just another thing that's changed since the full moon.

"Adrian said you were out here." Monique answers.

"How did Adrian know I was out here?" Lucas counters, knowing Monique is avoiding the question. She's trying not to make Lucas uncomfortable because they caught him in what looked like spying.

"He has super senses, remember? If someone's watching you then your senses will go off." Monique explains. Lucas had guessed that, but it's good to know for sure.

"Plus werewolves can feel the emotions of others." At Lucas' confused look Monique keeps talking.

"Didn't you know that?" Monique asks Lucas as she walks closer to him until she gets to the edge of the yard. Then Lucas, not wanting to awkwardly talk from across the street, comes closer until he's standing with Monique on the lawn.

"Not really." Lucas says with a shrug. Lucas is glad he doesn't have to talk to Adrian, because Lucas doesn't like Adrian too much. Monique may know as much as Adrian does. Lucas is glad to finally be having a "wolf talk."

"Well, you're supposed to start feeling other peoples' emotions after the first time you shift into a wolf." Monique pauses and glances over uncertainly at Lucas.

"You haven't shifted before, right?" Monique asks Lucas to confirm what she thought.

"No, I haven't. But I was out the night of the full moon. Shouldn't I have turned?" Lucas asks Monique curiously.

"Not necessarily." Monique replies thoughtfully, shaking her head. "You were attacked by Ivie, er-vine girl, that night. Right?"

Lucas nods his head once, so Monique continues on. "I assume you didn't shift that night because you were on the offense."

"So if I'm fighting with someone on a full moon, I won't shift?" Lucas asks Monique.

"No. That exception is only for the first full moon. You'll shift every full moon from now on until you can control it." Monique explains patiently.

Lucas remembers that it's been over two weeks since the full moon, so he has two weeks until the next one. Two weeks until Lucas shifts into a wolf.

"How long will it take to control it?" Lucas questions, even though he has a strong feeling that he won't like the answer.

"That depends on you. How well can you control yourself?" Once those words are out, Monique grabs Lucas by his arm and flips him onto his back.

"Hey!" Lucas half growls, lying dazed on the ground. Lucas' eyes burn bright and his claws threaten to come out.

Monique stares down at Lucas with a smile. "See? You're eyes are glowing. Good with the claws though, I don't see them yet."

Lucas sits up as Monique takes a step away. "You've still got a lot to learn Lucas."