Golden Eyes

Date: 2-17-17

Chapter 13: Golden Eyes

When Mason rushes back inside, his anger doesn't cool off like he hoped it would. All the people and motion just makes everything worse. Mason's breathing heavily and not even trying to control it. Instead, he lets his anger control him.

Mason shoves through the crowd, actually knocking people over in rage. When someone protests that Mason had just shoved his friend to the ground, Mason growls threateningly and the guy backs away in fright.

Lucas hears complaining coming from the other side of the room, causing him to look over to see what's happening. "What's wrong?" Lena asks him, catching the expression on his face. They were having fun up until then.

"Something's wrong." Lucas tells her truthfully. Their motions stop as they look around in confusion. Lucas doesn't know how, but he can sense anger in the air. Like the "someone wants to tear someone else apart" anger.

Lucas sees a flash of what he thinks is Mason and takes off after him. He doesn't know how he knew it was his brother, but it probably has something to do with them being twins who were turned into werewolves on the same night, only minutes apart. 

He also doesn't take notice when Lena follows behind him.

Lucas chases Mason none too stealthily through the crowds. Mason can sense that someone is following him, and it makes him angrier.

He escapes through the back door with Lucas hot on his heels. Lena's following Lucas more slowly because she's having a harder time getting through the groups of people.

She's confused by how Mason is acting and why Lucas is chasing after him because no one's told her what's happening. Maybe Mason just needs some time alone.

Lucas pushes open the door not even thirty seconds after his twin did. Seeing no sign of him, Lucas runs down the alley in the back.

When he turns the corner he's grabbed and slammed against the wall. At the same time, Lena exits the club but Lucas and his attacker don't hear the door with their struggle going on.

Lena pauses outside the door when she hears what sounds like two people fighting around the corner. She doesn't know what to do. She doesn't have any weapons, so she listens, slowly creeping closer to the noise of fighting.

Lucas immediately shoves his attacker away from him, hard enough to throw him into the opposite wall. Lucas is surprised by his strength but doesn't have any time to think about it. "Mason? " He asks incredulously as his brother stumbles back but doesn't hit a wall.

Lucas thinks he sees Mason's eyes flash golden for a moment, but it's gone too quickly to tell. The sun is about to set, but it's still shining down on them brightly, so it could've been that.

"Mason! What's wrong with you?" Lucas whispers fiercely as if someone might hear him. But he still doesn't know that Lena is out there with them.

Mason blinks in confusion and backs up a few steps, getting further away from Lucas. "I don't know, I just got mad."

"I could tell." Lucas says sarcastically, not helping the situation. Mason scowls at him and feels his anger rearing up again. He takes a step forward and Lucas does the same, but his is for defense.

"Mason, just calm down. I know what's happening to you." Lucas tells his brother, knowing that he has to tell him or Mason may go out of control. Mason lets out a short laugh that's anything but humorous.

"Oh, you do? You mean the healing, heightened senses, and suddenly lying to everyone? You know what that's about?" Mason takes another furious step towards him, his tone dripping with sarcasm and hatred.

"Well guess what, Lucas?" Mason walks all the way up to him so they're face to face. "I already know." Mason announces in a stage whisper, his eyes like knives stabbing him with every word.

"You're the one who's lied the most. You're the reason I keep this secret, because you haven't told yet! And you're the one who decided to do this alone and you didn't care who got hurt because of it!" Mason is yelling by the end of his speech, shoving Lucas backward to emphasize his anger.

Lucas stumbles, putting a hand out behind him to catch himself on the wall. He's afraid for about a split second before he realizes that he has reason to be blaming Mason too. Lucas feels heat go through him as well, all the way from his head to his toes.

"Oh, yeah? You're trying to blame me for this? Who was the one who ran out into the woods because of some hurt pride? Who was the one who ran off first?" Lucas argues, his heart working overtime to keep up with his rant as he steps towards the guy that he knows better than anyone.

"Who was the one who left the other to die?" Lucas practically roars at Mason, not caring if anyone hears. The music from inside is probably too loud to hear them anyway.

Now Mason's the one who's afraid, as he wonders how badly he hurt Lucas that night by leaving him. Is it too late to fix the bond between them that had existed for so long, only to be broken now?

Lena's been listening the whole time, wondering if she should jump in and try to help. But she senses that this is a family matter, although she isn't above listening in.

She wonders if Lucas and Mason will stop tiptoeing around the truth and reveal what's going on with them. Realizing that this is the best way to find out, Lena stays put and listens closely.

"Lucas, I-" Mason is no longer angry and he sounds lost when he tries to speak. But Lucas isn't done just yet.

"It was you! You did all of that, Mason! So why are you the one who's mad?" Lucas notices the heat he's been feeling spread to his eyes.

Mason gasps and says, "Lucas! Your eyes...?" It takes Lucas a minute to understand what he's trying to tell him.

Lucas turns away to hide his eyes and rubs at them, even though he knows it's too late.

"It's true then! When we got the bite..." Mason's eyes widen in amazement. "We're both turning into-"

"No! Don't say it!" Lucas yells at Mason with a growl. He's losing control and he knows it. He doesn't want to hear the truth.

Mason flinches and Lucas tries not to notice that. "Just don't say it." Lucas repeats calmly, attempting to shut down his fury before it gets worse.

Mason nods at his brother. "I'm going to go inside now, before I do something..." Lucas doesn't finish his sentence, but Mason understands.

Around the corner by the back door Lena turns and, as quietly as she can, runs back inside to avoid being caught eavesdropping.

"Wait Lucas, I need to tell you something." Mason says quietly but seriously.

Lucas pauses for a second to hear him out. "It's about John." Mason admits ominously.