Protecting Makes Him Fierce

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

I think the quote at the top of the page describes John perfectly, even if there's also a picture of a wolf and John isn't a werewolf :)

------------------------------------------

Date: 3-7-17

Chapter 43: Protecting Makes Him Fierce

"Don't play dumb with me Johnathon. We both know what you are and I said I just want to talk." Adrian says a bit sternly.

"My name is John. And I don't really want to talk to you anymore." John says, starting to consider getting up and leaving. Maybe Adrian will let him.

"Mason." Adrian mumbles too low for John to hear. Adrian knew Mason and Lucas were both listening.

Mason comes walking up, and John stiffenes on his stool. Adrian isn't going to let John leave.

"Hey Adrian." Mason says with a true smile. Adrian is annoyed with how perky Mason seems all the time, but he seems like the best choice in this situation.

"Hey Mason. Why don't you join our conversation? It's pretty interesting." Adrian sends a pointed look to John.

Mason is confused to what's going on, but he goes along with it.

John glares at Adrian and refuses to look at Mason. John can tell Adrian called Mason over here somehow for backup.

John wants to believe that Mason is still his friend and a softie, but John doesn't know this version of Mason. Werewolf Mason can be capable of anything.

"Now Johnathon, I wanted to know if you have any experience with dealing with stalking." Adrian says casually as Mason sits down on the other side of Adrian.

John can't believe what he just heard. Does Adrian know that John has been watching him? But John wouldn't call that stalking...

"Not really, no." John answers truthfully.

"That's okay. What about bipolar teenage girls?" Adrian asks in a monotone. It sounds creepy because what he said was serious but there was no emotion in his voice.

"Um, no." John says, showing his confusion.

"Well, I'd like your help with one. She's not really bipolar, but she has this evil other half of herself that likes to attack people at night." Adrian says like it's something perfectly natural.

John looks to Mason so maybe he'll understand, but that doesn't help John any. Mason is staring blankly at Adrian.

"How could I help with that? Sounds like she needs to be locked away, or taken to a psychologist." John says reasonably. He can't believe how calm he sounds.

"No, this is a supernatural issue. We were told she's the only one who can fix herself. So can you put a spell on her to make her go back to normal?" Adrian questions John, staring him down.

John doesn't want to admit anything about himself, but he's curious as to who this teenage girl is. "That's not how it works. You can't change someone's free will unless you tap into dark magic." John explains with a sigh.

"Then tap into dark magic!" Adrian growls out.

"I can't." John replies, shooting an anxious glance towards Mason. Is Mason going to attack him?

"I'm not a dark magic user. So I can't do that. Sorry, but you have to find someone else." John says quickly, hoping Mason and Adrian won't attack him.

John brushes his golden blond hair out of his face. It's a nervous habit that's been there for years, ever since John started keeping it at the length where it would be just above his eyes.

Adrian is surprised John hasn't cast a spell on him yet and ran away. Although when John moved his hair, Adrian caught a glimpse of a spark of magic in his eyes.

John must have great control and powerful magic for it only to show in his eyes when he obviously thinks he's in danger.

Adrian decides to go for guilting John into helping. "She's going to hurt more people tonight, Johnathon. And the worst thing is, she never remembers it the next day." Adrian makes sure those a dose of sadness shining in his eyes, hoping that'll affect John's sympathy.

"I said to call me John. And I can't change anyone's free will. I already said that." John repeats.

"Can't you at least come and see the situation to try an help some other way?" Adrian questions John.

John shakes his head no. He can't get in the middle of someone else's problems when he already has his own.

John watches Adrian's gaze move behind John.

John chances looking over his shoulder, only to see Evie and Alisa dancing. For once, Alisa looks like she's let go and is really having fun.

"I understand Johnathon. I'll have to see if your sisters will help instead." Adrian says softly without menace. Adrian is threatening John and wants him to know that, but Adrian doesn't want to sound cruel.

John twists back to face Adrian. Flames burn through John's veins, melting away his fear of Adrian. Nothing matters to John more than his sisters. John leans forward and barely controls himself from shouting in rage.

"Don't you dare! If you want help then I'll help. But don't you DARE  involve them. Understand?" John is practically spitting fire.

Adrian stands to avoid the flames. "Got it. Meet us at Lucas and Mason's house at 9:30 pm. Okay?" Adrian says in a friendly tone.

"Fine." John growls out before he walks away.

It looks like Adrian made John angry after all. Oh well. Adrian can live with that, as long as he figures out a way to get John to figure out the stalker situation. Of course that'll be after the whole Ivie thing.

~*~

John shoves through people to get to his younger sisters.

"We have to go." John demands in a rush.

"What? Why?" Evie asks as Alisa stops moving and becomes very nervous.

"I want to go home." John says before whispering the next part of his made up explanation. "I can't stand being here with them."

Evie and Alisa know what John means. He's talking about the werewolves.

Fortunately, Evie and Alisa believe John and they head outside.

Lucas stares sadly as his best friend basically says he can't stand him anymore. All because Lucas got bit by a stupid wolf that has yet to show up. Unless of course, that wolf was Adrian.

"Lucas." Lena says softly. Lucas turns to Lena, but even she can't remove the emptiness Lucas suddenly feels.

Lena puts her hands on either side of Lucas' face, then she leans up and kisses Lucas.