Chapter 23 : Just One Stare (Part 1 : Baby Fluke)

Arthit checked his email on his computer one more time, just in case there's something important. He looked at the clock, it's Friday, 4.45PM. After everything's clear enough, he turned off his computer.

As the plan before, on Friday afternoon, they would have an event, and today was his department turn, visiting orphanage.

Around 30 people from his department gathered in the main lobby at 5PM, waiting for the office bus. The orphanage is quite near from his office, it took around 20 minutes to get there.

In the bus, he saw the messages from Kongpop again. Kongpop told him that he left his hometown around 4PM, so he would arrived at Arthit's dorm around 7PM. He already had his own Arthit's dorm key, just in case this thing happened.

Once they arrived the orphanage, people from the orphanage welcomed them. Mr. Ha, as the leader gave a little speech as their intentions to go there.

"Attention all of you. Now we would separate in here. We will be divided into 6 groups. You set yourself your own group, 5 people in 1 group", Mr. Ha asked from the front.

Arthit gathered with other 4, his closest friends in the office. Then there's a woman who came to them, ask them to follow her.

From that woman, he got many information about that orphanage. The building was quite big, they took care about 150 kids, from 6 months old until 18 years old kid. He saw a big board in the main lobby, showing the number of kids in each ages. Most number would be from the children around 15-18 years old. As for the baby under 2 years old, about 15 kids.

First, that woman took them to the room where children around 6-9 years old gathered. They're making craft tools, Thailand typical.

"Sorry ma'am, are these crafts going to sell in the future?", Arthit asked.

"No, Sir. Mostly it's for our own collections. Sometimes we made it for our daily needs to. So, we could reduce the cost of buying stuffs like that.."

Arthit nodded.

"Beside, it could be certain abilities for them one day, being able to make something on their own..", she added.

Arthit smiled, agreeing.

After 10 minutes in that room, the woman asked them to go to the next room. On the door of the next room, there's a cartoon picture of a baby, and it's written "Baby under 2 years old".

When he entered the room, he saw around 20 baby boxes, which 15 of them were filled by a baby around 6 months old until 2 years old.

He felt.. touched, suddenly.

4 of his friends came to baby around 2 years old in the corner area. But suddenly, his eyes stared directly to a baby, around 1 year old, trying to stand up by touching a grip of the box, noticing that many people in the room.

He came to the baby. He noticed that it's a boy, from his clothes and accessory. His skin is white, just like him. The hair is thick, and the eyes, he couldn't help it to stare at the baby, so he decided to hold his hand, helping him to stand up.

He smiled to the baby. He touched his cheek, trying to make him smile. And he did it. He could see the beautiful smile from a baby. He said something to cheer him, just in case the baby would laugh.

In a moment, he wondered, how could people abandon such a beautiful baby like this, pure and innocent baby. He could see that the baby felt comfortable with him easily. It's just like, the baby need someone to hold for a long time, need a friend to talk, need a parent to take care of him.

Then he could hear the baby laughed for a little.

"Sir...", the woman a little bit shouted at him. Then she came to Arthit.