Festivities

Míril and company made their way quickly inside out of the snowy air. A Vanyarin warrior stood to either side of the gigantic mahogany doors. These door wardens nodded at Eldir, Ruivë, and Maglor, recognizing each of these familiar faces immediately. They allowed the group on inside, deep into the side of the mountain.

As the rich, dark wood doors were heaved open, Míril noticed they were intricately carved with scenes from somewhere beautiful. She felt it safe to assume that it depicted places in Valinor.

“Impressive,” Elladan breathed.

The indoors was bustling with activity. With its vaulted ceilings and carven pillars, Mindelossë would have been impressive even had there not been several hundred guests roaming about in beautiful clothing, drinking glasses of fancy wines while munching on little dishes of food.

The majority of the elves were Vanyar. Their golden tresses gleamed beneath the bright lamps inside the mountain. But there were also dark-haired Noldor, one which Míril recognized immediately due to the golden ribbons in his hair.

“Fingon is here,” she told her husband excitedly, causing him to chuckle at her reaction. Yet even he was excited to see the elf again.

Maglor began wandering in the direction of Fingon who was speaking to an elf with golden hair whose back was turned. Beside this elf stood a maiden who Míril suddenly recognized as the lady Amarië. Fingon caught sight of them and smiled. He gestured over for them to join the small company. Finrod and Amarië turned to see them and Finrod grinned widely.

“Friends! I am pleased you could make it!” Finrod took hold of Amarië's hand and together they waited for them to join.

“Thank you, Lord Finrod,” Ruivë curtseyed. “As always, we appreciated the invite.”

“You know I prefer you drop the formalities, Ruivë,” he chuckled. “Now, Míril, Elladan, Elrohir. I do not believe you've been formally introduced to my wife. This is Amarië, my beloved.”

Amarië smiled and chuckled lightly at her husband, her laugh as pleasant as falling water. Her golden hair was decoratively situated on her head and her fair face was full of kindness. Míril liked her immediately.

“Greetings, friends,” Amarië bowed. “Welcome to Mindelossë!”

“It is incredibly beautiful!” Elladan looked around. “Thank you for having us.”

Finrod nodded. “Of course. You are family, after all.”

Ruivë looked around and caught sight of someone she evidently knew. “Ammalië!”

The Vanyarin woman turned around and caught sight of Ruivë. She smiled and hurried over to the little group. “Ruivë! Sister!”

The two women laughed and hugged in their reunion. Everyone chuckled at their reactions. Eldir hugged her next.

“Míril, Elladan, Elrohir,” Ruivë smiled. “This is my sister, though I'm sure you gathered as much.”

The other woman nodded and introduced herself, shaking their hands. “Ammalië.”

“Pleasure’s ours,” Elrohir nodded in response once introductions were all made. He started to joke. “So does every Vanyar know each other here?”

The others all laughed and Amarië responded quickly, “Nay, nay, we do not. Ruivë and Ammalië are noble born.”

“We run in the same circles as Finrod and Amarië,” revealed Ammalië. “Hence why we’re here.”

“Makes sense,” Míril smiled. “Well, what's to do first?”

“Please! Let us show you around Mindelossë.” Finrod insisted this.

Fingon agreed, piping up. “It's quite a sight.”

Finrod and Amarië both cheerfully looked around. They decided to take the group to the grand living areas. As they walked, groups of Vanyar and Noldor and the occasional Teleri moved aside and bowed. The grand halls contained high vaulted ceilings, and beautiful rugs of scarlet and gold. The walls were made of some kind of sandy colored stone, and the outermost walls seemed carved into the rock wall of the mountain.

“So how many people are at this gathering today?” Míril asked Finrod Felagund.

“A few hundred. Mostly from the nobles of the Vanyar and Noldor, though there are some Telerin elves here as well,” the blonde elf explained to her as they wandered down the corridors. “We hold these parties every once and awhile. Today is to celebrate you and your two companions.”

Míril looked at him in surprise. “Us?”

Finrod nodded with a smile. “You are highly regarded in Valinor, you know. All three of you. The retrievers of the Silmaril.”

“They are willing to forget the transgressions of the other Fëanorians?” She looked at him in surprise.

“Well, no.” He shook his head. “But few hold their deeds against you. Only the Teleri of Alqualondë are hesitant of you.”

“Are Galadriel and Celeborn here?” Elrohir asked, coming up alongside Finrod to his other side.

“Ask them yourselves,” Finrod laughed, gesturing ahead of them inside a new, large room filled with couches and chairs, decorated with tapestries, and drinks and food scattered around.

Elladan and Elrohir chuckled as they spotted their grandparents and parents. Next to them was a woman with raven black hair and grey eyes. She was incredibly beautiful with her pale, almost white skin, and her dark hair. She seemed to resemble Arwen.

It was Celebrían who caught sight of the little group first. She smiled and waved, gesturing for them to come over. It was then that they fully caught sight of the woman they didn't know.

She was tall and pale, but she had a smile on her face and a light in her eyes that told of one who, though suffered much hardships, has come to love life. Elrond stood and took the woman’s hand in his as she joined him. They walked forward.

“Elladan, Elrohir,” Elrond smiled. “This is Elwing, your other grandmother.”

The twins stared at her, open mouthed in shock. Elwing chuckled at their reactions went towards them looking for a hug. They responded in kind.

“My, you two look so handsome,” Elwing said, brushing a tear from her cheek. “Oh how I envy Galadriel and Celeborn for being there during your childhood.”

“It is an honor to meet you,” Elrohir smiled, feeling a tear in his eye. “I see where our sister got her looks from.”

Elrond’s face fell slightly but he nodded after recovering quickly. “Indeed.”

“And you must be Míril,” Elwing smiled, turning her face towards the woman. “Welcome to our family.”

“Thank you,” Míril bowed. “It is such an honor to meet you!”

Elwing shook her head and took Míril’s hands in her own. “The honor is mine, bearer of a Silmaril. You are like my husband, you know.”

“I cannot be considered in such company as Eärendil the Mariner!” Míril objected immediately, blushing.

Galadriel laughed, coming over. “You underestimate yourself. You always have.”