The Daughters

“Greetings, my Lords and Lady!” The great eagle Isilmo extended his head to them in greeting.

Far above the moon was bright and the stars many. A slight breeze blew Míril’s brown hair across her cheek. It was a pleasant night, and she was prepared for the next adventure, eager, even.

“Lady Vairë said something about Ilmarin?” Elladan asked the eagle as they approached him.

Isilmo nodded. “Yes. I was instructed to take you to Ilmarin where Lady Ilmarë is waiting for you.” He stretched his wing down so they could climb on. “Up you get.”

Within minutes they were off. Soaring above the land was something Míril had come to quite enjoy. She watched as Taniquetil grew closer and closer, and the eagle took them higher and higher. She felt the air across her face getting colder.

She wasn't prepared for the landing. After several circles, Isilmo touched down without warning, jolting the riders.

“Sorry,” Isilmo murmured. “I'm not used to bearing so many so often.”

“It's nothing,” Elrohir assured him, sliding off the eagle’s back. “We just appreciate the lift.”

The moon was now low in the sky. They found themselves face to face with Carmegil, Glorfindel, and Haldanáro. The three warriors stood side by side. The foremost of the three crossed his arms, annoyed with his silver hair that kept blowing in the wind.

“Welcome back.” Glorfindel greeted them first with a smile. “Before we meet with the Lady Ilmarë, we figured you'd like some new clothes.”

Míril was so thankful she burst out laughing and nodded. “I am sick of this dress!”

Glorfindel smiled. “Come with me. The rest of you can go with Carmegil and Haldanáro.” He gestured for Míril to follow him.

Together the two of them walked side by side. Míril glanced over at the elf occasionally but he said nothing until several minutes had passed.

“Why do you stare, Míril?” He smiled, turning his head to face her. “You have known me almost your entire life.”

She shrugged. “I do not know. I guess… I guess it is different now in Valinor. You have such power here.”

His laugh was long and merry. “Power? Nay. Lady Ilmarë has power, Finarfin has power. I have respect, but this gets me few privileges in a land filled with heroes.”

She nodded and sighed. “I suppose it's just strange to see you not around Elrond or the Twins.”

“Do not forget, it has been thousands of years since I was last here. It is… difficult.” Glorfindel admitted this slowly as they walked. “Reconnecting with old friends, bowing to a new elven lord. It is disconcerting. But I am doing my best. Carmegil and Haldanáro are assisting me in my transition.”

They entered an area with a small house, cottage like. It was still a ways from the center of Ilmarin and down a slope, set apart in a tiny clearing against the rock walls. Míril wondered who it belonged to.

“This is one of the houses of Indis. She likes to live here with her daughters, apart from her people further down the mountain.” Glorfindel walked up to the door. “She told me to bring you here.”

“Indis? Of the Vanyar?” Míril was stunned and worried. What good could come of meeting the second wife of Finwë? “Her daughters?”

He knocked on the door. When it opened several moments later, Míril found herself face to face with a golden-haired elf maiden, sapphire blue eyes shining. She nodded at Glorfindel with a smile and turned to Míril, still standing in the doorway.