House of the Handmaiden

In the morning, after a few hours rest, Míril and Elrohir awoke in the inn of Ilmarin. The bright Sun, guided by the Maia Arien, radiated beams of light and warmth into their room. It came in through the skylight in the ceiling above them, shafts of brilliant sunshine, cascading down on them and warming their skin.

Míril rolled over and grabbed a glass of, miraculously, still cool water. Sitting up on the comfy bed, she took a sip. It cooled her parched throat in contrast to the warming rays of sunlight on her body.

“Elrohir, my love.” She whispered to him, hugging his back, “We should probably be rising.”

A knock on the door at that instant seemed to confirm her suspicions. She jumped up and smoothed her night gown. With shuffling feet, Míril walked to the door and opened it quietly. Outside were Fingon and Maglor.

“Good morning!” Fingon spoke loudly and happily as he saw her, purposefully being as obnoxious as possible. “Are you two rested enough?”

“We are now,” Elrohir glared at Fingon from where he came up behind Míril in his loose shirt and pants.

Fingon looked at him with a playful smirk while Maglor nearly went to slap his good friend in the face for being cheeky. The latter instead rolled his eyes and turned to Míril.

“Elladan is getting breakfast at the moment. I figured we would give you two a few extra moments’ rest.” Maglor continued after they nodded their appreciation. “Once you have gotten dressed, meet us in the feasting hall.”

They all agreed and the two elves left their door, leaving the couple to dress. Míril put on the same dress she had worn the previous day, having no other dress available. Elrohir did the same with his clothes. They both wished silently that they had known to bring extras, but alas, it mattered not.

Hand in hand, the couple left their room and walked silently to the feasting hall. There they found Carmegil and Glorfindel with Elladan, Fingon, and Maglor. Food was there already for them.

“Good morning again.” Míril smiled at Fingon and Maglor before turning to the others. “And good morning to you three as well!”

Carmegil nodded his greeting, mouth full of food while Glorfindel smiled and spoke up. “Truly it shall be a good day.”

“Why?” Elrohir asked him curiously.

The golden haired elf responded with a quiet smile. “You are going to meet one of the most powerful in Valinor.”

Míril, Elrohir, and Elladan wondered what he meant. They were very confused all throughout their breakfast of eggs and meats and breads. As breakfast drew to a close, the seven elves moved to leave the Inn.

Setting foot outside, for the first time in day time, Míril found herself in awe yet again. They stepped on the path of hard slabs that guided their way, but beside the path was exquisite bright green grass. She dared to step into it, slipping off her shoes for a moment. She felt the blades between her toes. They tickled, but it was not unpleasant. She could feel how alive it was.

Fingon shouted back at her to ask her to join them and she realized her friends were far ahead. They were approaching the first of the large buildings she had noticed the night before. She couldn't remember what Finrod had said it was.

Whatever it was, it was beautiful. Large, made of white stone and blue and white marble, but softened by draping sky blue curtains over the door, the house was incredibly impressive. Glorfindel had them halt outside of it.

For several minutes they stood before Míril finally broke and lay in the grass, soaking up the sun. Elrohir joined her and soon Fingon and Elladan lounged around too. After fifteen minutes however, they were interrupted.

An Eagle flew towards the seven elves.  It was small, no larger than those "lesser" eagles of Middle Earth that were no more than animals.  Glorfindel held out his arm and to Miril's surprise it landed there.

"The Lady will see you now" said the bird, shocking Miril and the Sons of Elrond.

Apparently Elladan did not hide his surprise well enough, because the eagle looked him square in the eyes.  "Yes, I talk!" said the bird angrily, before flying off towards the north end of the gardens.

"I'm glad I didn't ask if I could pet him!" said Miril, half honestly and half mocking Elladan's error.

"Yes, that would have been a problem." said Glorfindel with a laugh.  "We should go see Her Grace at once.  She is not the sort one ought to keep waiting."

They walked up to the door and pushed past the soft blue curtains. Glorfindel and Carmegil led the way. Míril noted that even Fingon stepped more gingerly and with greater thought, almost like he had when meeting the Valar.

Then they saw her.

She was beautiful like the Valar, yet more tangible and less otherworldly.  She could easily have passed for a child of Manwe and Varda.  Her violet eyes and black hair had a noble beauty no queen of the Eldar could match.  Surely this, Elladan and Elrohir thought, must be one of Luthien's kin.

They could not have been more right, for this was Ilmarë, Handmaiden of Varda and perhaps the greatest of the Maiar, the blood of which Luthien shared through Melian.  Among her own kind only Eonwë and Sauron were her peers.  Few even among the Valar were clearly more powerful than she.

Glorfindel and Carmegil snapped to attention as she approached, and addressed her as "Your Grace."  Before they could explain their purpose, Ilmarë spoke.

"Elladan, Elrohir, and Miril" she began, shaking their hands.  "I am honored to finally meet you."  Ilmare's voice was soft and kind.

"The honor is ours, Your Grace." Elrohir replied in awe.

"I hope you have found Ilmarin to your liking," the Maia continued.  "I am Ilmarë, Handmaiden of Varda."

Ilmarë turned briefly to Carmegil. She knew him well. "Take this to the eyries" she commanded, handing him a sealed letter.

"Yes, Your Grace" he replied, and went swiftly back down the path towards the south.

The twins and Míril stood, absolutely shocked to see Carmegil take orders from anyone. Based on the way he acted, and the way he told his stories, they hadn't thought it possible.

Ilmarë spoke then to Miril.  "I understand that you wish to see your children.  There is a tool in Ilmarin, commonly called 'The Eye,' which should allow you this.  It is currently in use, but I have asked that it be made available to you soon."

"Thank you, Your Grace.” Míril bowed, small tears forming in her eyes as she thought of her children, sundered from her by seas of space and time.

"You may call me Ilmarë," she said with a smile.  "We need not stand on ceremony today.  You passed through great danger to bring us the Silmaril, and today you are our honored guests."

Elladan smiled and bowed to her. “For that we are truly grateful.”