Dinner for Five

The group talked for a few hours in Ilmarë and Eonwë's sitting room.  Eonwë wanted to hear the tale of the reclamation of the Silmaril first hand, despite the fact that it was clear from his incessant questions that he had watched the whole thing quite intently and knew a great deal about the quest.  He was about to question them on the Arnor affair when Ilmarë rescued the elves by asking Eonwë to go check on the dinner she had asked the chefs at the inn to make for the guests.

"We are to eat here?" Miril asked excitedly.

"You, Elladan, and Elrohir."  Ilmarë nodded with a smile.  She was enjoying their company, as she rarely had guests who did not want some political favor.  In addition, she sensed great potential in this young heir of Feanor and the sons of Elrond.

Soon the food arrived, and Eonwë with it.  Those elves not invited to dinner paid their respects and left for the inn.

"That went remarkably well." Said Fingon quietly, as soon as they had left the house.  "Tickets to a new play /and/ the classic!"

"Is that why you came?" asked Glorfindel incredulously.

"One should never pass up a chance to spend time with Lady Ilmarë,” Fingon said.  "She is very generous, and a great patron of the arts."

"Surely the great Fingon, Prince of The Noldor, can get tickets to a play?" Carmegil asked.

"Tickets yes, but not like Ilmarë's.  I suspect we will be in her box.  There is no better view at The Inkling."

"Or perhaps the little ones will be in her box and you will be in a corner, the reward for asking Her Grace for tickets," Carmegil winked with a wry smile.

"Ilmarë wouldn't do that" Fingon objected instantly, sounding a little concerned.  "She wouldn't do that..."

Back in Eonwë's house Ilmarë led the three remaining elves into her dining room.  Eonwë soon joined them.  The table was furnished with chairs to comfortably seat seven on either side and one at each end.

“Fourteen, for the Valar," commented Elrohir.   Elladan and Miril caught their breath at the thought.

Eonwë sat at the head of the table, with Ilmarë at his right hand.  Miril sat at to his left, with Elrohir beside her.  Elladan tried to sit beside his brother, but Ilmarë insisted he sit beside her.  The three elves were surprised to find that Ilmare had ordered them dishes tailored to their tastes.

"We have forgotten wine!" said Eonwë leaping up.

"Get something good, our guests have never had good wine," said Ilmarë.

"The wine in the inn is amazing," Miril assured her.

Ilmare smiled sweetly.  "As I said, you have never had truly great wine."

Eonwe soon returned with a bottle.  "I won this from Tulkas a few years ago.  It is older than our guests."

Eonwë poured the wine in the most beautiful wine glasses they had ever seen.  They looked to be carved of clear crystal, and were inlaid with many gems.  Miril had lived in luxury in Minas Tirith for many years, but the king's palace paled in comparison to Ilmarë's abode.  A single wine glass was probably worth more than all of Aragorn's good dishes put together.

They spoke of many things over dinner.  Ilmarë tried to learn all she could of their interests and desires.  She was gifted with only a little foresight, but what clairvoyance she had told her these three would be important to her future in some way.

After Ilmarë heard the tale of Miril and Elrohir's history, Elrohir worked up the courage to ask a question of his own.  "Might we ask how you first met?"