Ultimate Beauty

Míril looked upon the Valar in terrible awe. They were quite tall, which added to the fear they inspired. On the left throne sat Varda Elentári, Queen of the Stars. Her hair, dark as night and long enough to reach her waist, was flecked with shining white gems reminiscent of the stars themselves. Her flowing blue gown shimmered lightly and seemed to change between light and dark with every move Míril made. Her skin was pale as ice, and her eyes silver. Upon her head was a crown of mithril and elven glass.

Beside her sat Manwë Sulimo, Lord of the Skies. He was clothed in robes of blue as well, though his were thick and distinctly dark on the outside and light for the inner garments. In contrast to Varda’s raven-black hair, his own was white as the clouds. His skin was pale, but not as pale as his wife’s. Blue eyes looked down upon the visitors.

“Welcome, Míril, descendant of Fëanor. And Welcome Elladan and Elrohir, descendants of Luthien.” Manwë nodded to them in greeting. His voice was not as deep as Ulmo’s, but it demanded the same respect and dignity.

Elladan and Elrohir both fell into single knee bows. Míril was so awestruck, she remained standing for a few moments before joining them.

“My King, my Queen,” Elrohir breathed emotionally. “It is above all honor that you meet with us.”

Varda smiled lightly. “My dear children, stand. Be without fear. For you are honored guests in Ilmarin, at our request.”

Míril could not take her eyes off Varda. This was the Lady Elbereth, the Vala whose songs she had played, whose hymns she had sung. And now, here she was, in person. And she was more magnificent than Míril had ever imagined.

“Your majesties,” Finrod said as he and the others knelt quickly before standing. “Thank you for the invitation. We were unsure when to bring these three.”

“Of course, Findaráto,” Manwë nodded. “Thank you, all of you, for showing them the way.”

“We wished to express our deepest gratitude for your retrieval of the Silmaril.” Varda smiled gently at Míril in particular. “That was no easy feat.”

Míril nodded before finally speaking. “I had help.”

Manwë gave a tiny, rueful smile. “Indeed. Ulmo did much.”

“And for this we are grateful,” Varda nudged her husband.

“Of course,” Manwë nodded eagerly. “Do not think otherwise.”

After a moment in which there was silence as the trio gazed on the Valar, and the other elves watched the trio humorously, Míril stepped forward.

“My Lord, My Lady,” she said, tears in her eyes. “I must thank you, thank you for allowing me across the Sea.”

Varda dipped her head and Manwë nodded.

He looked at her in kindness. “You were judged worthy.”

“Míril,” Varda smiled at her too. “We were watching you closely for many years. I knew you were worthy from the moment you pledged your life to protecting Aragorn. But the doom of Mandos spoke had to be fulfilled.”

Elrohir took the step forward so he was even with his wife. Taking her hand in his, he looked from her face to the faces of the Valar. “Lady Varda, Lord Manwë, it is said that you can see all of Middle Earth when you look out together. I suppose from what you have said that you did so recently. Can… can you see our children?”

Varda and Manwë both laughed. It sounded like music. It was Varda who spoke in response.

“Indeed, we spend much time watching the exploits of young Aderthon, Fëalas, and Círeth. For they and the children of Aragorn and Arwen are the future of Middle Earth.” Varda paused. “There will come a time when you may look out into their lives. I shall have my handmaiden show you where this is possible.”

“Oh thank you, my Lady,” Míril nodded quickly, tears in her eyes. She missed her children.

Elrohir echoed her sentiments quickly. Elladan smiled and put a hand on his brother’s shoulder, giving it a squeeze. This was good news indeed.

Varda and Manwë turned from the trio and looked at the others.

“Findékano, we have good news for you.” Manwë dipped his head to him.

Fingon looked startled but smiled, coming forward. As he did so, a woman, dark haired and clothed all in white, came out of the shadows and walked to the group.

“Aredhel! Sister!” Fingon shouted in joy. He ran to her and she to him, both crying tears of joy, for Aredhel had been released from the Halls.

“From this day forward, Írissë Aredhel Ar-Feiniel is free to live in Valinor once more.” Manwë smiled at their reunion. “May your days be blessed.”

“Thank you again, my King and Queen,” she bowed before them.

Varda noted that Míril was yawning. She gave a small smile, feeling pity for her. “I believe it is time the half-elves got sleep.”

Míril tried to protest but it did nothing. Elladan and Elrohir joined in but Manwë raised his eyebrow when Míril have a huge yawn in the middle of a sentence, which shut down all hope of protest.

“Findékano, Findaráto, you know where the Inn is. Take them there.” Manwë told the two senior Noldor.

All the visitors knelt before the Valar once more before leaving. Míril did not wish to leave, so enthralled by their beauty was she. But Fingon assured her there was much beauty to come.

They wandered through the Northern gateway of the main hall. It led to a path of stone steps down into a circular courtyard about five hunsred feet in diameter filled with beautiful gardens and ponds.  All the ponds were connected by small streams, fed by a seemingly natural spring in the center.  The water glowed with a faint light, as though somewhere deep within each pool lay a Silmaril.

Elladan looked deep down into the water. “Incredible.”

Fingon began to explain the them that this light and the Silmarils' shared the same source: here high above the plains of Valinor a single pool of Telperion's dew had escaped the touch of Ungoliant's hunger.  Varda's servants cared for the water day and night, and thanks to their efforts one could still see what the water in the Wells of Varda had looked like during the Days of the Trees over seven millennia ago.

This courtyard was contained within a complex of interconnected buildings.  On the west side was Manwë's Library, which housed all the writings of the Valar and Maiar, as well as a selection of Elvish theses on science and history.  It held so many priceless original manuscripts and so few books written in Elvish tongues that it was more of a museum than a place of study.

There was only a few hundred feet between the end of the central garden and the edge of the cliffs to the north of Ilmarin.  In this space stood three mansions, each of which had a view of Tirion to the north.  The Western of these three belonged to the Vanyar, and was often occupied by King Ingwë.  The Northernmost building, the central of the three, belonged to Ilmare.  The Western building was Manwë and Varda's guest house.

The Eastern third of the complex was an inn.  In its southern wing lived those working in Ilmarin.  In truth it was fairly empty, for most Maiar in the service of the high King and Queen took physical form only at need, and did not rest in the manner of men or elves.  Those of the Eldar that worked in Ilmarin lived here in great comfort.  The southern wing, reserved for guests, was always crowded.

“Here we are,” Finrod smiled as they approached the massive complex that was the inn. “There is a place to get wine and food in the center. But let us get rooms first.”