Journey to Ilmarin

The small group was sitting on the couches talking when they were interrupted by an especially tall Vanyarin elf. He bowed before Finrod and Galadriel and the other noble elves before turning to address the whole group.

"His Majesty Ingwë, High King of the Vanyar, Vassal of Lord Manwë, High King of the Valar, extends a formal invitation to the Lords Elladan, and Elrohir, and the Lady Míril, to visit the highest of highs upon Taniquetil at Ilmarin where they will meet Lord Manwë and Lady Varda of the Valar tonight under the stars." He bowed again. "With them may come the Lords Finrod, Fingon, Celeborn, Maglor, and Elrond, and the Ladies Elwing, Amarië, Galadriel, and Celebrían."

"Thank you, sir," bowed Finrod. "We formally accept and will arrive there promptly this evening. Thank your masters for us."

The herald nodded quickly and quietly before leaving the room. Eldir and Ruivë smiled and chuckled that they had been left out.

"But surely you can come?" Míril frowned.

Eldir shook his head. "Perhaps another time. We have visited enough. There must be a reason we were not included. Frankly I am more surprised Maglor got an invite."

Maglor agreed wholeheartedly.

Fingon turned to his friend. "Have you been back to see the Valar?"

"Once." He nodded. "Immediately after I was released from the Halls, we had a long chat."

"At least we're all already dressed for tonight," Elwing pointed out happily. "It has been some time since I last set foot in Ilmarin."

Míril was bursting with excitement. She grabbed her husband's hand and squeezed it, unable to contain herself.

"I think Míril is excited," chuckled Elrohir.

Míril stared at him in amusement. "Of course I am! We get to meet the King and Queen of the Valar!"

After another half hour of talking, Eldir and Ruivë were called aside by a Noldor. No one heard what was said but they bid farewell to the others soon after to accompany the Noldorin messenger.

"We should start the climb soon," Finrod told the others. "I hope you wore comfortable shoes."

"How do we get there?" Míril asked. "How long is the climb?"

"From here, it's about a five hour walk," Amarië replied with a smile. "There are spots to rest along the way."

"We should start then!" Elladan nodded excitedly. He stood immediately from the couch he had sat down on and danced on the balls of his feet.

Fingon laughed merrily. "You certainly are eager. All of you. Yet you speak truly."

Finrod, Amarië, Galadriel, and Celeborn led the way through the vaulted halls of Mindelossë to the front gate. The others followed close behind them. As they exited the mansion, the chill wind whipped the long hair of the elves into their faces before calming down. Míril breathed in the wintery air deeply. It had a calming effect on her.

"Shall we?" Fingon gestured to the path before them.

The little group started up the path. As they walked, Finrod explained to them all about Ilmarin and Taniquetil.