Finwë's Legacy

Míril was quiet as she walked with Vairë through the Hall of Tapestries. Her mind raced with questions. The truths Nienna had placed in her mind, the truths of pity and love, now caused her to realize that good and bad were not cut and dry as she’d previously believed. Kinslayers did evil deeds, but in their hearts, now many thousands of years later, they felt repentance. Maedhros did at least, she instantly had picked up on that.

“My lady, when will he be released?” Míril asked Vairë as they walked next to the wall. “He is sorry for his deeds.”

Vairë sighed. “I do not know, my child. And though he is sorry, and many like Maglor beg for his release… it does not erase the wrongs he committed.”

“But Maglor was a kinslayer,” Míril pointed out. “He took the selfsame oath.”

Vairë nodded. “Truly you speak. But there were many who saw his rejection of the oath proof of his repentance, and dying to make sure the Silmaril returned here gained him many friends among the powerful.”

Míril nodded. She supposed that made sense. Still she did not like it, and this surprised herself. Nienna had worked wonders in her heart. She knew no hate any more. Not even for Halion.

Through the Hall of Weaving they went, past the many weavers of Vairë busy at their stations. She caught sight of Maglor, busy staring out a window on the left wall. Elladan and Elrohir were seated on the floor, listening as Míriel told them stories of her weavings. Fingon was leaning against the wall, watching his friend intently as the other elf stared out the window. Vairë smiled at her as they entered.

“Perhaps you would like to show them the tapestries, Míriel?” Vairë gestured to the half elves. “After all, they are in them.”

“A wonderful idea.” Míriel smiled at them warmly. “Come, let us walk.”

Fingon, Elladan, and Elrohir immediately followed her, but Míril paused a moment. She turned to Vairë and spoke. “May I speak to Maglor, my lady?”

Vairë agreed and followed Míriel and the twins out, leaving Maglor and Míril alone in the small room. Míril went up to him as he looked out the window, placing her hand on his arm.

“How is he?” Maglor asked, choking up.

Míril sighed. “His heart aches. He wished me to tell Nerdanel that he is sorry, for everything.”

The elf wiped his eyes with his sleeve. He turned away from her. He gave a short, humorless laugh as he tried to get control of himself.

Míril wanted to comfort him, but did not know how. She stood silent, allowing him a moment to recover.

“You know, you were named after my grandmother.” Maglor turned to her after another moment. “I spoke to your birth parents.”

“Gilrin and Orelon?” Míril was taken aback. “They are here?”

Maglor nodded. “They wish to see you. To meet you again at last. However we all thought it best that you settle in first.”

Míril's face contorted. She wasn't sure how she felt. On the one hand, she was ecstatic. At last she could meet the parents she had vague memories of. On the other hand, they weren't her parents. Halbarad was the only one she’d ever known for more than three years of her life.

“Miril, are you alright?” Maglor waved a hand in front of her face. “Come on. The others are getting farther ahead every minute.”

She was snapped from her stupor and together they hurried to catch up with the small group. They reached the twins, Vairë, and Míriel just in time, inside the Hall of Stories. Míriel took them to a small door in the Hall of Stories right wall. Overtop it was the Tengwar script for “House of Finwë.”