Run 10!!

⛄️☔️☁️⛄️☔️☁️⛄️☔️☁️⛄️☔️☁️

"Ok." I tell myself as I stand atop the snowy hill, adjusting my goggles over my helmet.

"This is no time to be worried about Shaun, or Giggles, or how I might've left the sink on at home, or how I should probably check my emails, or that I need to go to the gym soon, because geez, I'm not gonna start eating salad like Giggles, but I eat too much crap food, and..."

I took a deep breath to stop myself and leant down to triple-check my bindings.

"Ok, Gracie. Focus."

Before I could go off onto another little trip down reminder lane, I shifted my board, and down I went.

I love this. The wind rushing past you, powder kicking up behind and around you, the way all your worries and fears just disappear until it's only you and your board and the icy, snowy, atmosphere.

It's everything to me. I love it. I need it.

Except the world apparently has some sort of vendetta against me, or maybe it's my crazy-ass Grammy in heaven that's bugging the big dude upstairs and he's taking it out on me, or something because halfway down the mountain I run into someone.

And when I say 'run into someone' I don't mean a casual meeting in the grocery store. No, this is a full-on collision sending me and the dude who's in all black sprawling.

Uh oh. I know someone who dresses in all black like a freaking ninja.

Oh god. Grammy, if you're up there, please work your voodoo magic and let it not be-

"Gracie?"

Dammit.

I dig the toe of my board into the snow and push myself up. Turning around, I spot Shaun unbuckling his bindings and stepping out of them, while shaking snow from his bandanna.

Well, he deserves the snow in his face. I could've broken a nail. Or a foot. And then I would be screwed.

"Shaun!" I brightly smile at him and exclaim in a falsely excited voice. "How nice to, um, see you!"

Shaun gives me a smile back, and shakes snow out of his red curls, brushing it near my feet.

Wait, when did he get so close?

"Fancy seeing you here, GR."

I wrinkle my nose slightly. "Fancy? You sound like Cialka."

Shaun shrugs adorably. "I picked that phrase up from her. I think she was saying something about a chocolate muffin instead of seeing you, though."

I nod, and bend over, brushing snow from my board. I gotta say, this is really awkward.

"Cause you're not a chocolate muffin."

Shaun says, clearly not picking up on the awkward tension.

Wait, what did he just say?

"Er, no. I am not a chocolate muffin, or otherwise."

Shaun blushes slightly and scratches the back of his neck. Now he looks awkward. Which just makes things so much more awkward.

"I am a taco, by the way." I say after an afterthought.

Shaun raises an eyebrow.

"Or maybe I'm a burrito. I can't remember." I say, putting a blue gloved hand on my hip. Or maybe I'm not Mexican food at all. I could be something like sushi, or yuca, or that pistachio ice cream that looks like alien guts.

Shaun kind of looks lost, like he doesn't know what to say. Good. It's always good to leave them speechless.

"Do I want to know why you're Mexican food?" He ventures, looking confused.

"Uh," I stop and think. "Probably not."

He nods. "Right."

I nod too and shift back and forth on my feet. "Yup."

"So," We both start at the same time, and look at eachother, giving off that awkward laugh.

"You first, " I smile at him.

He shook his head and smiled back. "Nah, it was nothing important.

"Oh. Uh, me neither." I say, trailing off at the end, not knowing what to say.

This is crazy. A few days ago, we couldn't shut up. Now? It's like freaking Jabba the Hutt died.

What's the word? Oh yeah,

Awkward.

I rub the back of my head.

"So, wow, it's getting kinda late huh?"

Shaun immediately picked up my drift. "Yeah, I gotta get back. Plans for tonight, you know."

I nod, walking backwards. "Yeah. I mean, not really, because I just kinda stay in and pig out and watch Netflix with my fridge, but whatever. What are your plans, Shaun?"

Oh god. Its like freaking word vomit. I need to learn to shut up.

Shaun lit up, his gorgeous mega-watt smile breaking out on his freckled face.

"Oh! Angie and I are going out to a movie, then dinner."

Figures.

"Oh." I state. What do I say to that? 'Oh, that's nice?' I don't know.

"Right." I wave, and start walking to where I know there are the ends of some slopes, so I can get a ride back to the main lodge.

"I'll let you get ready, then. Bye, Shaun."

Shaun grins, and waves back,strapping himself back into his bindings.

"Bye, Gracie! See you later!"

~.~.~.~.~.~.~ .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It's only when I'm in my car and driving home half awake that it hits me.

"Oh god! I mentioned my fridge!"

💭💎💭💎💭💎💭💎💭💎💭💎💭