Chapter 27

"Please, Bri. Don't do this." I begged.

She stared down at me. "Sorry, (y/n). Payback."

I squeezed my eyes shut, not wanted to see her vengeful face as she was about to kill me. Then I heard the sound of a ray gun being shot and rang throughout my ears.

Bri fell to the floor, her eyes in shock. I looked up and saw Mikey there holding his ray gun as smoke rose off it. He was the one who shot Bri and I was still alive. "Mikey! How did you-"

"I was walking back from Dr. Death's and then I saw you on your knees and Flames holding a gun up to your head. I don't know about you, but that's normally not a good sign."

Mikey helped me up and I hugged him. "Oh my god, Mikey, thank you."

I felt him hesitate at first, but then he hugged me back. I heard the door swing open and Frank, Gerard, Ray, Bandit and Grace come out. "Is everything alright?" Frank asked. "I thought a heard a gun shot..." His voice trailed off when he saw Bri's dead body on the floor.

Mikey went up to him and put his hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Frankie. Flames wasn't the person you thought she was. She tried to kill (y/n)."

Frank was silent for a while, until he shrugged Mikey off and went back inside. My hands trembled. "Frank..." I went to go after them but Gerard held me back.

"Give him some time." He said. "He doesn't want to talk to any of us."

We all went back inside the diner and I sat sulking on the booth with Gerard rubbing my back. "Hey, (y/n), it's not your fault she died. Flames was probably just crazy."

I didn't look at him. "It is my fault. You see, Flames and I used to know each other. We were cousins, in fact. But one day Flames, or Ash Feather as she was known before, had a deadly contagious disease. None of us thought she was going to make it, so I burned her body. However, she didn't die. She ended up healing and changed her identity and set off to get revenge on me for almost killing her. And today was a perfect day to do it, too."

"(y/n)..." Gerard said. He lifted my chin so I was forced to look into his hazel eyes. "You  were doing the right thing. Here in Battery City, we have to get rid of anything that stands in our way of survival. After all, only the strongest will survive." When he said that I instantly thought of Adrenaline, Nightmare, and everyone else. Before I knew it, I started crying.

Gerard wiped my tears away and pressed his lips against mine. "I promise I won't let anyone hurt you, (y/n)."