Prologue

London in 1897. It was a dark and foggy night. A horse-drawn carriage pulled by as a light was shown from a tiny toy store called Flaversham's. The owner, Hiram Flaversham, and his daughter, Olivia, were celebrating her sixth birthday.

"You know, Daddy, this is my very best birthday," she said, rocking a toy rocking horse.

"Ahh...but I haven't given you your present yet," Hiram replied.

"What is it? What is it?" Olivia asked excitedly.

"Now, now. Close your eyes," he instructed.

She obeyed, but couldn't help but try to peek.

"Uh-uh-uh-uh! Auch, no. No peeking now," Hiram said, smiling.

Olivia giggled and covered her eyes. He placed a toy flower bud on the table and wound it up. It started playing music as Olivia opened her eyes and gasped. It went from a flower bud to a dancing ballerina.

"Ohhh, Daddy! You made this just for me?" Olivia asked.

But the moment was soon to end short as a bat with a crippled wing and peg leg laughed evilly as he approached the toy store.

"You're the most wonderful father in the-- in the whole world!" Olivia said then hugged her father, who gladly returned it.

Then the door knob started rattling. The father and daughter looked at it with concern.

"Who is that?" Olivia wondered.

"I don't know! Quickly, dear, stay in here and don't come out," Hiram answered then put Olivia in the cupboard.

The bat crashed through the window and he and the toy maker fought each other. Olivia opened the cupboard a crack to witness the fight until the table slammed it shut and knocked her back.

"Got ya, toy maker!" the bat said and cackled.

"Oh, no! Olivia!" Hiram shouted before he was dragged out of the store.

Olivia made it out to see the place was a mess and no sign of her father.

"Daddy, where are you?" she asked.

She approached the window as she continued to call out, "Daddy, where are you?"

She yelled for her father, but she got no response; she was all alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Olivia's birthday was perfect until this bat took her father away. What will she do now?