Chapter 12: The Trap

Basil, Jamie, and Dawson found Fidget trying to get in a pipe as he sang the song Jamie sang a few minutes ago.

🎵Let me be good to you
Ba-boo Ba-boom
So dream on and drink your beer
Your baby's here🎵

"Basil," Dawson replied.

"Shh-shh-shh. Follow me," Basil instructed as he climbed in the pipe.

He helped Jamie in and Dawson followed behind.

"Great Scott, I can't see a thing," Dawson said.

"Shh, grab my coat and follow along," Basil replied.

Jamie obeyed, but Dawson was going the wrong way.

"No, no, no, not that way," Basil called.

"Dawson, look out for your--" Jamie tried to warn until Dawson ran into a dead end.

"Owww! Confound it!" he scowled.

He got back up and followed Basil and Jamie.

"Do you have any idea where we're going?" Dawson wondered.

"But of course. Left turn. Right turn here, you two," Basil directed.

They made it out and opened the drain grate to reveal what they were looking for.

"Ah-ha! We found it. Ratigan's secret lair. And it's filthier than I imagined," Basil commented.

They snuck around to make sure they stayed out of sight. They looked to see a green bottle with Olivia inside.

"Dawson, Jamie, the bottle!" Basil pointed out.

They snuck over to the bottle. Basil and Dawson tried to get it open while Jamie tried to get Olivia's attention.

"It's stuck," Basil replied.

"Olivia," Jamie called gently and knocked on the glass.

But it was really Fidget and he made a kissy noise to her.

"Surprise!" the ruffians cheered.

Basil fell off the bottle as a sign that said "Welcome Basil" unraveled. Jamie helped Basil up as Ratigan appeared at the entrance of the lair.

"Bravo! Bravo! A marvelous performance," Ratigan mock-cheered then approached Basil while laughing.

Basil and Jamie glared at him.

"Though frankly, I expected you 15 minutes earlier. Trouble with the chemistry set, old boy?" Ratigan teased, looking at his watch.

Basil kept glaring until he put on a friendly face.

"Ratigan, no one can have a higher opinion of you than I have," he said then glowered, "And I think you're a slimy, contemptible sewer rat."

Ratigan kept a smile as he closed his watch and just chuckled.

"By the way, Basil, I just love your disguise," he said, messing with Basil's fake mustache, ripped it off, then remarked while laughing, "Really, one would hardly recognize you. The greatest...detective...in all mousedom!"

"Get away from him!" Jamie snapped.

All eyes were now on her. She kept a brave and mad face towards Ratigan and he started walking towards her.

"Ooh, we have a feisty one here, fellows. And such a pretty thing," Ratigan said.

He walked behind Jamie and stroked her cheek with the back of his hand, making the other ruffians chuckle. She moved her face away from his hand.

"Take your hands off her!" Basil retorted.

"Hmm. By the sound of that, Basil seems to care a lot about you. And more than just being on this case, I believe. Also, I suspect you care about him as well," Ratigan smirked.

Jamie and Basil stared at each other, surprised. They both really cared about each other without the other knowing. But it was more than just caring about the other.

"What's your name, my dear?" Ratigan asked, breaking them from their thoughts.

She looked at Ratigan then turned her back to him in disgust.

"Silence? We'll fix that," he replied.

He snapped his fingers and one of the ruffians grabbed Basil. They put a knife to his throat and Jamie started to panic.

"Now will you tell me your name?" Ratigan asked, holding his little bell.

She looked at Basil, who shook his head no, but she sighed and answered, "Jamie...Flaversham."

The others gasped at this new information.

"So, Hiram has a second daughter. What luck!" Ratigan smirked as Basil was released.

"Ratigan, so help me, I'll see you behind bars yet!" Basil shouted.

"You fool! Isn't it clear to you? The superior mind has triumphed. I've won!" Ratigan cheered after lifting Basil in the air and roughly putting him down.

Ratigan and his henchmen laughed at the trio. Basil started becoming angrier until he felt...defeated. He sighed, feeling foolish for falling into this trap in the first place. Dawson and Jamie didn't know what to do for him.

"Oh, I love it! I love it! Ha, ha-ha-ha! Oh, I love it! I love it!" Ratigan cheered.

The henchmen then took the detectives hostage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Well, Basil, Jamie, and Dawson are now captured and Ratigan thinks he is victorious. What to do.