Chapter 19: Case Closed and Proposal

Everyone was at Basil's place where instead of Ratigan's picture over the fireplace was a newspaper article that says "Queen Honors Detective" with headlines "Medal To Be Given" and "Time Runs Out for Ratigan". The picture showed Basil, Dawson, and Jamie bowing to the queen and she was knighting them.

"To be thanked by the queen herself. Oh, how very thrilling, eh, Basil?" Dawson asked.

"All in a day's work, Doctor," Basil answered, placing Ratigan's bell on the fireplace mantel.

"Oh, Dr. Dawson, you were wonderful," Olivia replied.

"Ohh," Dawson blushed.

"Indeed. Oh, my, we're late to catch our train. Come along, Olivia and Jamie," Hiram said.

"Yes, Father," both daughters answered.

"Good-bye, Basil. I...I'll never forget you," Olivia remarked, hugging Basil.

"Nor I you, Miss...Miss Flangerhanger," Basil responded.

Olivia just shook her head with a smile while Dawson and Jamie chuckled.

"Whatever," Jamie shrugged.

Then she hugged Basil and kissed his cheek. He returned the hug as they smiled.

"You'll always be in my heart," Jamie told him when they were facing each other.

"And you in mine," Basil said.

"Good-bye, Dr. Dawson," Olivia waved.

"Good-bye, my dears," Dawson replied to both of them.

When they approached the door, Olivia turned back and whispered, "Good-bye."

Then they left and Basil cleared his throat to keep from tearing up.

"Well, um...not a bad little girl, actually," he confessed.

"Not at all," Dawson responded.

Basil sighed sadly as he sat in his chair. Dawson looked at him, concerned.

"What's the matter, Basil?" Dawson wondered.

"I just felt I should have asked Jamie something important," Basil answered.

"And what might that be?" Dawson asked.

Basil sighed and pulled out a beautiful engagement ring. Dawson smiled at what he meant.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go and ask her. I'll take care of things here," Dawson encouraged.

Basil smiled, took off his robe, put his jacket on, and responded on his way out, "Thank you, Dawson."

He ran out the door and headed for the train station.

Meanwhile, the Flavershams were waiting on the train when Jamie remembered something.

"Olivia, I forgot to give you your birthday present," she told her.

She gave her a neatly wrapped present and Olivia ripped it open. Inside was a pretty necklace that fit around Olivia's neck.

"Oh, it's beautiful," Olivia said after Jamie helped her put it on.

"Like my little sister," Jamie smiled.

They hugged when Jamie heard her name being called.

"Jamie!" Basil called as he ran to her.

She turned around to see him. They hugged when he came up to her.

"Basil? What are you doing here?" she asked, smiling.

"I have something to ask you," Basil answered.

"What is it?" Jamie wondered.

He smiled as he pulled the ring out of his pocket and got down on one knee. Jamie gasped quietly and smiled while cupping her mouth. Olivia and Hiram smiled so big as they hugged each other.

"Miss Jamie, I was intrigued by you when I first laid eyes on you. And I felt that you feel the same towards me. Will you be my wife?" Basil proposed.

"Yes!" Jamie answered.

Basil placed the ring on her finger and they kissed passionately. Olivia and Hiram congratulated them and they let Jamie stay to be with Basil. They waved them goodbye as soon as the train arrived then left. Basil escorted Jamie to "their" home.

"And also, you did an amazing job singing that night," he told her.

"Thank you. Even though it wasn't the scenery I was used to, it made me feel better that you were there," she said, resting her head on his shoulder.

They spent their time enjoying each other's company.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Basil proposed! And she accepted! Yay!