Chapter 15: The Great Escape

The record continued to play and Olivia desperately tried to push the cork to get out. The others were still tied up. Jamie and Dawson were trying to snap Basil back to himself while he just moaned.

"Basil?" Dawson said.

"Basil?" Jamie repeated.

"Oh, how could I have been so blind?" Basil whined.

"We all make mistakes. But we can't let that stop us," Jamie replied.

"We have to--" Dawson started.

"Ratigan's proved he's more clever than I. He would never have walked into such an obvious trap," Basil interrupted.

"Oh, pull yourself together! You can stop that villain!" Jamie assured.

Then both Dawson and Jamie noticed that the record was skipping.

"Basil! The record!" Dawson said.

"Huh?" Jamie responded.

"Oh, it's finally happened! I've been outwitted!" Basil groaned.

"Oh, Basil, please," Jamie begged.

"Beaten. Duped. Made a fool of. Oh, ridiculed, belittled..." Basil continued.

"That's enough!" Dawson snapped.

But that's when the record fixed itself.

"Dash it all, Basil! The queen's in danger. Olivia's counting on us. We're about to be 'splatted,' and all you can do is lie there feeling sorry for yourself," Dawson said.

"I know you can save us. And you know what? Ratigan was right; I do care about you. And I know you care about me. So please prove it to me, but if you've given up, then why don't we just set it off now and be done with it?" Jamie remarked.

Basil looked at her and chuckled weakly.

"'Set it off now,'" he repeated.

Then he hatched an ingenious plan to escape.

"'Set it...off...now"? Ye...Yeah. Yes. We...We'll set the trap off now!" he exclaimed with a maniacal look on his face.

"Basil, wait! She didn't mean that we ought to--" Dawson started to say.

He was interrupted by the song ending and it released the ball.

"Angle of the trajectory multiplied by the square root of an isosceles triangle. Dividing Guttermeg's principle of opposing forces in motion. And adjusting for the difference in equilibrium..." Basil said then instructed, "Dawson and Jamie, at the exact moment I tell you both, you must release the triggering mechanism."

"Wha..." Jamie and Dawson responded.

"Get ready, you two," Basil replied.

They were ready with fear as the ball got closer.

"Steady. Now!" Basil signaled.

Dawson screamed as they did so. The metal switch landed on the ball, making it vibrate. The peg loosened and hit the gun, which misfired and hit the arrow. It missed them and hit the ax handle. It sliced the mousetrap in half, releasing the three detectives. And when the anvil hit, the vibration freed Olivia from her trap. Dawson breathed heavily as Jamie smiled and Basil changed from his sailor disguise to his coat and deerstalker cap.

"Thank you, Jamie," he thanked, Jamie caught Olivia and hugged her, Basil held everyone close, and replied, "Smile, everyone."

The camera flashed to get Basil and Jamie's smiles while it got Dawson and Olivia's stunned expression.

"Are you sure Ratigan's more clever than you?" Jamie smirked.

Basil chuckled and answered, "He is not. You brought me back, Jamie. And I must tell you something."

"What is it?" Jamie asked.

"Well, I--" Basil started.

"Um, pardon me, but we do need to rescue the queen," Dawson reminded.

"Oh, of course," Basil replied.

"Let us be off," Jamie stated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They escaped! Yes! Now to stop Ratigan!

P.S. I just loved this escape that I wanted to add it in. Lol!