Chapter 16: Ratting Out the Rat

At the palace, everyone was waiting for the queen to enter. Then the robot came out and thinking it was the queen, the audience applauded.

"On this most august occasion, we are gathered here not only to commemorate my 60 years as queen, but to honor one of truly noble stature," the robot replied.

"I present to you a statesman among mice, a gifted leader, a crusader for justice," Flaversham read off the notecards.

Meanwhile, Fidget was carrying the real queen to Felicia while she struggled to get out of his grip.

"Over here, fatty. You're a ton, toots. Here, kitty, kitty, kitty. Time for mouse chow," he remarked.

Flaversham kept speaking through the robot as Ratigan prepared his entrance.

"A majestic mountain of humility and my new royal consort, Professor Ratigan!" the robot announced.

Ratigan appeared, wearing a royal robe, medals, and a crown on his head. The whole place gasped in horror. One little boy blew a raspberry at him and his mother quickly covered his mouth.

Back at Ratigan's lair, Basil, Jamie, Dawson, and Olivia were running out. Basil whistled and a familiar bark was heard as Toby came in sight.

"Toby!" Basil called.

The basset hound ran to them and greeted Olivia with a kiss, making her and Jamie giggle.

"The game's afoot, Toby. Our queen is in mortal danger," Basil explained.

Toby growled and made his ear like a staircase. They all climbed on his head.

"Jamie, if you please," Basil requested.

"To Buckingham Palace!" Jamie told Toby and they were off.

Back at the palace, Ratigan was thanking the robot queen for giving him this position.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. And now, as your new royal consort, I have a few, uh, slight suggestions. Item one," he said while unfolding a long list of his suggestions that went out of the room.

As Fidget continued to drag the queen to the balcony, she kept kicking him in the head.

"Stop it! Nuts!" Fidget commanded as he approached Felicia and told her, "Open wide!"

As he was about to throw her in Felicia's mouth, Basil, Jamie, Dawson, and Olivia were right behind them.

"Bye-bye!" Fidget yelled, attempting to throw the queen over the balcony.

But Jamie and Basil grabbed the queen just in time, sending Fidget over the edge, who narrowly missed Felicia's jaws and grabbed the balcony's edge.

"Down, down, kitty! Down!" Fidget commanded.

That's when Toby came around the corner and barked ferociously. Felicia screeched and ran away with Toby nipping at her heels.

Meanwhile, Ratigan was finishing reading all his suggestions for being the queen's royal consort.

"Item 96. A heavy tax shall be levied against all parasites and spongers, such as the elderly, the infirm, and especially...little children," Ratigan finished.

"That's ridiculous! You're insane!" the cripple objected.

"Perhaps I haven't made myself clear," he told the crip, snatched his crutch, and said as he broke it, "I have the power."

"Of course you do," the robot queen agreed.

"I am supreme!" Ratigan continued.

"Only you," the robot added.

"This is my kingdom!" Ratigan yelled then laughed evilly.

Basil and the others snuck behind the curtain and quickly freed Hiram. Ratigan cleared his throat.

"That is, of course, with Your Highness' permission," Ratigan requested.

At first the robot said nothing until he gave it a light slap.

"Most assuredly," the robot said then added, "You insidious fiend."

"What?" Ratigan asked, puzzled and confused.

"You're not my royal consort!" the robot shouted.

"What a sense of humor," Ratigan said, covering the robot's mouth.

"You're a cheap fraud, an impostor," the robot continued.

"Flaversham!" Ratigan warned, still trying to cover the robot's mouth.

It was really Basil speaking and at the controls while Dawson and the queen tied up Fidget and the ruffians as Jamie and Olivia reunited with their father.

"Not exactly how I wanted to reunite with you both, but I'm happy I did," Jamie said then continued hugging them.

"A corrupt, vicious, demented, low-life scoundrel. There's no evil scheme you wouldn't concoct," Basil said through the robot.

He jerked at the controls, making the robot bite Ratigan's nose. He tried to hide the fact that it was a robot but to no avail.

"No depravity you wouldn't commit," the robot continued to yell.

"You, Professor..." Basil replied while jerking the controls.

"...are none other than a foul stenchus rodentus, commonly known as a..." the robot replied, coming apart.

"Don't say it!" Ratigan demanded, grabbing the robot's throat.

"Sewer rat!" Basil and Jamie yelled.

Ratigan yelled in anger at the mention of what he really was.

"Arrest that fiend!" Basil said.

He, Dawson, Hiram, and the queen tackled Ratigan while everyone else attacked the henchmen. Jamie stayed with Olivia, unaware that Fidget freed himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They busted Ratigan, but what'll happen when there's a damsel in distress?