Chapter 5: You Must Meet Toby

Olivia finished explaining the whole story of what happened to their father to Basil.

"This case is most intriguing with its multiplicity of elements, its many twists and turns. Now, you're certain you've told me everything? The slightest detail may be important," Basil asked.

"It's just as I said. And then our father was gone," Olivia answered.

"I see. And where were you at the time of your father's disappearance, Miss Jamie?" Basil wondered.

"I was just returning home from Cambridge. I have been away for four years, learning how to be a detective, like yourself. Though I doubt I'd be as good and clever as yourself," Jamie explained, blushing at the last part.

Basil smiled as he responded, "Well, thank you, Miss Jamie. But I think you would do magnificently. I would be honored if you'd accompany me on this case."

"It would be my pleasure," Jamie accepted.

"So what do you make of it?" Dawson asked.

"Ratigan's up to something. A crime of the most sinister nature no doubt. The question is, what would he want with a toy maker?" Basil replied.

"Well, he makes the best toys anyone has ever seen. Maybe Ratigan needs him to build something for him," Jamie suggested.

Fidget showed up at the window as lightning sounded, causing Olivia to scream. The others noticed and ran for the door.

"Quickly, Dawson, Miss Jamie, we've not a moment to lose!" Basil informed.

"Uh, we're right behind you, Basil," Dawson replied.

"Olivia, stay with Mrs. Judson," Jamie instructed.

They made it outside, but Fidget had escaped. However, he didn't leave a clean slate.

"No sign of the blackguard anywhere," Dawson said.

"Not quite, Dawson. He left some rather unusual footprints. They obviously belong to the same fiend who abducted the girls' father, Ratigan's peg-legged lackey," Basil explained.

Jamie then found Fidget's hat and showed it to Dawson.

"Uh...Basil?" she replied.

He turned to see the hat in her hand. She gave it to him as he cheered.

"Ah-ha! Excellent work, you two. Ha-ha-ha!" he responded happily.

"Now, there's nothing to be afraid of, my dear," Mrs. Judson comforted Olivia.

Basil ran in, making Mrs. Judson to pull Olivia out of the way. She glared at him while Dawson and Jamie ran in as well.

"The scoundrel's quite gone," Jamie informed.

"Not for long, Miss Flamhammer," Basil replied, taking his robe off.

"Flaversham!" Olivia and Jamie corrected.

"Whatever," he shrugged then responded, "Now we simply pursue our peg-legged friend until he leads us to the girls' father."

"Then you'll get our daddy back?" Olivia asked, hugging Basil tightly.

"Yes! And quite soon, if I'm not mistaken," Basil said, removing Olivia from him, then informed the others as he put his jacket and Inverness cap on, "Now, hurry along, Dawson and Miss Jamie. We must be off to...Toby's."

"Toby's?" Dawson and Jamie said questionably.

"Oh, you must meet him. He's just the chap for this," Basil assured.

"You want me to come as well?" Dawson asked.

"Ha! I should think a stouthearted army mouse like you would leap at the chance for adventure," Basil explained.

"Well, I am rather curious," Dawson confessed.

"Wait for me! I'm coming too!" Olivia replied.

She grabbed her hat, knocking off Basil's violin. Jamie quickly caught it and placed it back on the chair.

"What? Certainly not! This is no business for children. And thank you, Miss Jamie," Basil said.

"You're welcome," she answered.

"Are we going to take a cab?" Olivia asked, stuffing her pockets with crumpets.

Basil groaned then explained, "Oh, my dear, I don't think you understand. It will be quite dangerous."

He was about to sit in his chair with the violin still there.

"Basil, your--" Jamie started to say.

But he sat right on it.

"Violin," Jamie finished.

"Why, you-- Look at--" Basil grumbled, holding his now broken violin, then growled as he yelled, "Young lady, you are most definitely not accompanying us. And that is final!"

"Wait, Basil. If you want me on this case, you'll let Olivia come along as well. It's our father who is in danger and it wouldn't be fair to her. I promise she'll be on her best behavior and I will keep my eye on her," Jamie responded.

Basil thought about it for a minute then finally gave in.

"Oh, very well. You're very persistent, Miss Jamie," he said, giving a slight smile.

"It's a gift," she answered.

Basil chuckled as they all got ready. Then they were off for Toby's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Who is Toby and how are they going to get Hiram back to them?