Chapter 6: Toby on the Trail

They all climbed to a hole in the wall. Basil looked around and Olivia snuck a peek as well.

"And not a word out of you. Is that clear?" Basil whispered.

"Shh!" Jamie and Olivia shushed.

They all hid as two men walked in.

"I observe that there's a good deal
of German music on the program. It is introspective, and I want to introspect," one man said.

"But, Holmes, that music is so frightfully dull," the other replied and they both started to leave the room.

"Come on," the first man responded.

Basil, Jamie, Olivia, and Dawson walked out and looked around for Toby.

"Toby? Toby?" Basil called.

Olivia tugged onto Jamie's dress and she knelt down to her level.

"Who is Toby?" Olivia whispered.

"I don't know. Let me ask Dawson," Jamie answered, walked up to Dawson, and asked, "Doctor, do you know who Toby is?"

"Well, my dear, Toby is...well, he's..." he tried to answer, but couldn't figure it out so he asked, "I say, Basil, who is this Toby chap?"

Before he could answer, heavy footsteps can thundering their way. They all looked up to see a basset hound puppy.

"Ahh, here he is now," Basil introduced.

Tony panted happily as Basil gently shoved Dawson to the puppy.

"Dawson, Toby," Basil introduced.

"Charmed...I'm sure," Dawson greeted nervously, patting Toby's nose.

Toby growled at the doctor, who hid behind a chair leg.

"Now, Toby! Toby, stop that. Toby, cease! Desist! Ha!" Basil replied then explained, "Tsk-tsk-tsk. Frightfully sorry, old man. Toby has the most splendid sense of smell of any hound I've trained. But he can be deucedly frisky."

Toby started sniffing around until he caught Olivia's scent under the foot rest. She got out and smiled.

"Hello, Toby," Olivia greeted, patting his nose.

He sniffed at her, making her giggle.

"Silly doggy! Would you like a crumpet?" she offered.

He nodded, she held it up, and he licked it out of her hand. Jamie walked up to Toby and he sniffed at her.

"Why hello, Toby," she replied.

Toby got on his back as Olivia and Jamie started giving him a belly rub.

"Now, Toby? Toby! To the matter at hand. I want you to--" Basil started to say until he saw the scene.

He cleared his throat, catching Toby's attention. Olivia slid down Toby and Jamie caught her.

"Good. Now, Toby...Toby, I want you
to find," Basil said, pulled out the hat, and finished, "this fiend!"

Toby immediately started growling at the sight and smell of the hat. Basil even growled along with him.

"Yes, you know his type. A villain. A scoundrel! Low brow. Close set eyes. Broken wing," he described to Toby.

Toby stopped growling and looked at him, confused.

"Oh, he's a peg-legged bat with a broken wing," Jamie explained.

"Precisely," Basil confirmed.

They continued to growl at each other, making Jamie giggle. Basil noticed, who blushed for a minute then regained his composure.

"Yes! Yes! That's the spirit. Got his scent?" Basil asked Toby.

The basset hound nodded happily.

"Good boy, good boy! Miss Flamchester!" Basil exclaimed.

"Flaversham!" Dawson, Jamie, and Olivia corrected.

"Whatever. Your father is as good as found. Toby," Basil said, Toby pointed in the direction of the smell while connected to a leash, and Basil commanded, "sic 'em!"

Toby ran, accidentally stepping on Basil. Jamie ran up to him, asking him if he was okay. When he was yanked, he grabbed Jamie by the waist and she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Ah-ha! Yikes! Tallyho!" Basil yelled then laughed, as did Jamie.

Olivia and Dawson ran after them, looking for where the fiend went to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They're off to find Fidget and to see what Ratigan wants with Jamie's and Olivia's father.