Chapter 13: Five Ways to Die

Ratigan had Basil, Jamie, and Dawson tied up on a huge mouse trap in that order. Jamie and Basil were on one side while Dawson was on the other. Olivia was still in the glass bottle while Hiram was tied up beside it. Ratigan's ruffians were setting up the mouse trap.

"You don't know what a delightful dilemma it was trying to decide on the most appropriate method for your demise. I had so many ingenious ideas I didn't know which to choose. So, I decided to use them all," Ratigan smirked evilly.

He showed his little display of weaponry he had prepared for how to get rid of them.

"Marvelous, isn't it? But, here, let me show you how it works. Picture this," he started to demonstrate.

Fidget was beside a record to help show what could happen.

"First, a sprightly tune I've recorded especially for you. As the song plays, the cord tightens. When the song ends, the metal ball is released, rolling along its merry way until...Snap! Boom! Twang! Thunk! Splat!" Ratigan reenacted.

Dawson and Jamie cringed as Basil just laid there forlornly.

"And so ends the short, undistinguished career of Basil of Baker Street," Ratigan finished explaining.

"You're despicable!" Dawson retorted.

"Yes" Ratigan chuckled then asked the peg-legged bat, "Everything's ready, Fidget?"

"All set, boss," Fidget answered.

He approached the neatly-wrapped package and looked inside.

"Oh, this is wicked! So delightfully wicked," he smiled evilly then approached Olivia and Hiram as he replied, "Mr. Flaversham, let me congratulate you on a superb piece of craftsmanship. See what you can do with the proper motivation? And because she decided to poke around in places she shouldn't, there's going to be a death in the family."

He then dragged Hiram to the blimp.

"Jamie! Olivia!" Hiram shouted to his daughters.

"Father!" they yelled.

"You all know the plan?" Ratigan asked his henchmen.

"Right, Professor," they all answered.

"It was my fond hope to stay and witness your final scene, but you were 15 minutes late and I do have an important engagement at Buckingham Palace," Ratigan explained then added, "Now, you will remember to smile for the camera, won't you? Hmm? Say cheese."

"You fiend!" Dawson insulted.

"Sorry, chubby. You should have chosen your friends more carefully," Ratigan replied.

"You dirty rat!" Jamie snapped.

Ratigan cringed at those words, growled, then warned, "Don't call me that."

"I will if I wish too. That's all you are. And we will escape and put you in jail!" Jamie vowed.

"I would love to see you try," Ratigan chuckled then played the record.

Fidget pedaled a blimp with a rope ladder and the present toward Ratigan, who grabbed the ladder.

"Adieu, auf wiedersehen, arrivederci, farewell," he said then added once he got in, "Bye-bye, Basil."

Once they were gone, Olivia looked helplessly at the three mice who were tied up.

"Wh-What did he mean, an engagement at Buckingham Palace?" Dawson asked.

"Haven't you figured it out yet, Doctor? The queen's in danger, and the empire's doomed," Basil moaned sadly.

"At least that's what he thinks at the moment," Jamie added.

"The queen?" Dawson said, baffled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N They need to escape to stop Ratigan, but they need to bring Basil back.