Chapter 17: Danger at Big Ben Part 1

Just as Fidget was free, he snuck up on Olivia, but Jamie noticed just in time.

"Olivia, look out!" she yelled.

She kicked Fidget away from Olivia and tackled him to the ground.

"Get her!" Fidget commanded.

Two of the ruffians who were disguised as guards grabbed her as Olivia hid out of sight.

"Let me go!" Jamie demanded.

"Take her to Ratigan. Basil and her are really close," one of the ruffians said.

Fidget grabbed her and took her to the balcony while Olivia warned Basil and the others about what happened.

"The woman! The woman!" Fidget signaled.

Ratigan managed to free himself and make his way to the balcony. He grabbed Jamie and dangled her over the edge.

"Stay where you are or the girl dies!" Ratigan threatened.

"Basil!" Jamie shouted before Ratigan took her away.

"Hurry, Dawson!" Basil urged.

They ran after them and looked up to see Ratigan's blimp.

"There he goes!" Basil pointed.

He quickly grabbed the British flag.

"Dawson, Flaversham, gather up those balloons!" Basil instructed.

They did so and prepared an aircraft to save Jamie. Meanwhile, Fidget pedaled as Ratigan steered the blimp.

"Just wait! Basil's smarter than you. He's going to put you in jail! He's not afraid of a big, old ugly rat like you!" Jamie yelled at Ratigan.

"Would you kindly sit down and shut up!" Ratigan hollered then slapped Jamie in the face.

She landed hard and held her face. Then they saw the Britain flag in their path. That's when they saw Basil, Olivia, Dawson, and Hiram on this blimp they made themselves. Jamie smiled at this and Fidget pedaled as fast as he could away from them.

"Let her go, chaps!" Basil said.

Hiram and Dawson let air out of one of the balloons, making it blast after them. The chase continued under a bridge that they almost hit. Finally, Fidget couldn't pedal anymore and panted heavily.

"We have to lighten load," Fidget informed, meaning to throw Jamie off.

"Oh, you want to lighten the load! Excellent idea," Ratigan responded.

Fidget chuckled, looking at her. That is until Ratigan grabbed him and threw him off.

"No! Not me! I can't fly! I can't fly!" Fidget yelled, falling to his watery grave.

Ratigan went to the pedals and pedaled as fast as he could. But Basil and the others were right on top of him.

"Steady!" Basil replied.

Basil jumped and grabbed Ratigan's blimp, almost kicking him in the face. They weren't paying attention as Jamie screamed. When Ratigan looked forward, he screamed as well. They were heading straight for Big Ben! They finally crashed and Hiram, Olivia, and Dawson couldn't tell if they were alright.

Inside Big Ben, Basil got up after being knocked off the blimp and rubbed the back of his neck. Then he looked around at the clockwork of Big Ben. Little did he know that Ratigan, with his hand over Jamie's mouth, was behind him about to hurt Basil. Jamie struggled to get Ratigan's hand from her mouth until she finally succeeded.

"Basil, look out!" Jamie warned.

He looked behind him when Ratigan slapped him, making him grab the edge of the gear they were standing on. Before he could do it again, Jamie bit Ratigan's hand, making him scream. Basil then grabbed Ratigan's cape and lodged it in between two gears. He dropped Jamie, but kicked her and she screamed until she landed on a larger gear. But she wasn't out of danger yet; this gear was connected to another and it could crush Jamie in one movement.

"Jamie!" Basil shouted then jumped.

He landed on a switch that made this chain go up at an astonishing speed. As the gear got closer, so did Basil. He finally grabbed her hand and they made it. He wrapped his arm around her waist as she wrapped her arms around his neck. As they were making their narrow escape, Ratigan spotted them and his sanity cracked. He ripped his cape and ran after them, his clothes shredding as he passed by. Basil and Jamie made it outside to see the others coming their way. Once almost close enough, Basil lifted Jamie as Hiram reached for her.

"Closer, Dawson! Closer!" Basil said.

"I can't reach! I can't reach!" Jamie replied.

That's when Ratigan came up behind them and tackled Basil. He let go of Jamie as Hiram finally grabbed and hugged her which she returned. But then she noticed Basil was falling down the side of Big Ben with Ratigan trying to kill him.

"Basil!" she shouted.

And they went to rescue the great mouse detective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Jamie has been rescued, but now Basil's in danger. They better hurry and rescue him.