Chapter 4: The Nefarious Ratigan Himself

In an abandoned pub, Hiram was working on this robot that he was ordered to create. He made it pour tea and put sugar in it. Then he felt a puff of smoke and heard an evil chuckle behind him. He turned around to face Ratigan.

"Quite an ingenious scheme, eh, Flaversham? And aren't you proud to be a part of it?" Ratigan asked.

"This whole thing...It's monstrous!" Hiram said.

"We will have our device ready by tomorrow evening, won't we? You know what will happen if you...fail?" Ratigan threatened, making his little bell ring once.

Hiram became angry and jerked the controls as he retorted, "l...I...I don't care!"

The robot poured all of the tea on itself and powered down. Some narrowly missed Ratigan until oil from the robot got on his jacket.

"You can do what you want with me. I won't be a part of this-- this evil any longer!" Hiram yelled.

Ratigan thought about it for a minute then shrugged and smiled.

"Mmm...very well. If that is your decision. Oh, by the way. I'm taking the liberty of having your daughter brought here," he responded, winding up the flower bud toy Hiram gave Olivia for her birthday.

"Olivia?" Hiram asked, shocked.

"Yes. Yes. I would spend many a sleepless night if anything unfortunate were to befall her," Ratigan replied with mock sadness, letting the mouse ballerina dance.

"You wouldn't!" Hiram exclaimed.

Ratigan picked up the dancer and destroyed it by just squeezing it.

"Finish it, Flaversham!" he yelled.

Hiram sadly turned around and got back to work as Ratigan left the place.

'He must not know about Jamie. At least she's safe in school,' Hiram thought to himself.

Ratigan finished writing a list as he smiled proudly.

"Oh, I love it when I'm nasty," he chuckled then walked over to the sleeping bat.

"Fidget," he called but no response until he yelled, "Fidget!"

Fidget, the bat, woke up and fell from where he was.

"Bright and alert as always. Here's the list. You know what to do and no mistakes!" Ratigan ordered.

"No, no. No mistakes. 'Tools, gears, girl, uniforms'," Fidget said then read the list out loud.

"Now, Fidget!" Ratigan commanded.

"I'm going, I'm going. I'm going!" Fidget assured and went off to get the things on the list.

Ratigan then faced his henchmen who were either drinking or holding weapons. But one mouse, Bartholomew, was more focused on the drinking, even though he ran out. But the others took the time to light matches and hold them for Ratigan to smoke his cigarette.

"My friends, we are about to embark on the most odious, the most evil, the most diabolical scheme of my illustrious career. A crime to top all crimes. A crime that will live in infamy!" Ratigan explained, showed a newspaper with the queen on the front page, then continued before he burned it, "Tomorrow evening our beloved monarch celebrates her diamond jubilee. And with the enthusiastic help of our good friend, Mr. Flaversham, it promises to be a night she will never forget. Her last night and my first as supreme ruler of all mousedom!"

His henchmen cheered then he put on a hat, grabbed a cane, and began his evil song.

[Ratigan:]
🎵From the brain that brought
you the Big Ben caper
The head that made headlines
in every newspaper
And wondrous things like the Tower Bridge job
That cunning display that made Londoners sob
Now comes the real tour de force
Tricky and wicked of course
My earlier crimes were fine for their times
But now that I'm at it again
An even grimmer plot has been simmering
In my great criminal brain🎵

[Henchmen:]
🎵Even meaner you mean it
Worse than the widows and orphans you drowned
You're the best of the worst around
Oh, Ratigan
Oh, Ratigan
The rest fall behind
To Ratigan
To Ratigan
The world's greatest criminal mind🎵

Ratigan was now at a harp, playing it lightly.

"Thank you. Thank you! But it hasn't all been champagne and caviar. I've had my share of adversity, thanks to that miserable second-rate detective, Basil of Baker Street," he growled, pointing to a Basil doll with needles in it.

"Boo!" the henchmen acknowledged.

"For years that insufferable pipsqueak has interfered with my plans. I haven't had a moment's peace of mind," Ratigan whined.

"Awww!" the henchmen replied with sadness; even Bartholomew cried, even though he was drunk.

"But all that's in the past! This time, nothing, not even Basil, can stand in my way! All will bow before me," Ratigan replied, determined.

[Henchmen:]
🎵Oh, Ratigan
Oh, Ratigan
You're tops and that's that
To Ratigan
To Ratigan🎵

[Bartholomew:]
🎵To Ratigan the world's greatest rat🎵

Ratigan spit out his wine as the other henchmen gasped at Bartholomew just said.

"What was that?!" Ratigan demanded, making Bartholomew hiccup.

"What did you call me?" Ratigan asked, walking towards him.

"He didn't mean it, Professor," one mouse said.

"It was a slip of the tongue," a lizard informed.

"I am not a rat!" Ratigan yelled while holding Bartholomew by his shirt.

"Of course you're not! You're a mouse," a mouse said.

"Yeah, that's right. A mouse," another added.

"A big mouse!" the lizard replied.

"Silence!" Ratigan commanded.

He threw Bartholomew out of the barrel, but he didn't seem to care because of his drunk mind.

"Oh, my dear Bartholomew. I'm afraid that you have gone and upset me. You know what happens when someone upsets me," Ratigan informed then rang his little bell.

"Ohhh!" the henchmen gasped.

A large shadow came from an alley as a cat, Felicia, came up behind Bartholomew as he sang happily and drunkly.

[Bartholomew:]
🎵Oh, Ratigan
Oh, Ratigan
You're the tops and that's that
To Ratigan
To Ratigan
To Ratigan🎵

The henchmen gasped as Felicia dangled Bartholomew over her mouth.

[Bartholomew:]
🎵The world's greatest🎵🎵

Felicia swallowed him with a big gulp as the henchmen either lowered their hats in respect or cried. Ratigan just wiped Felicia's mouth with his handkerchief.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Oh, Felicia, my precious, my baby. Did Daddy's little honey-bun enjoy her tasty treat?" Ratigan asked in a baby voice then she burped in his face.

"I trust there will be no further interruptions," Ratigan replied as the henchmen became afraid.

He walked back in, cleared his throat, and said, "And now, as you were singing."

When he didn't hear anything, he held up the bell.

[Henchmen:]
🎵Even louder we'll shout it
No one can doubt what we know you can do
You're more evil than even you
Oh, Ratigan
Oh, Ratigan
You're one of a kind
To Ratigan
To Ratigan
The world's greatest
criminal mind!🎵🎵

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Ratigan is a jerk. He threatens children and he feeds his henchmen to his cat, just by calling him a rat. Ugh! Let's get back to good guys, shall we?